Pulau Sipadan Travel Answers

change location

Sipadan Travel Advice

by scubagoat Online Now Nov 20, 2004 at 3:33 AM

I am planning a trip to Sabah at the end of November 04. There have been doubts over safety for western tourists around Sipadan and surrounding islands posted on various international governmental website. Does anyone have recent first hand experience 'on the groud' as it were from this area. Also there is talk of the island closing at the end of the year - does anyone know when? How is the diving at this time of year? All info greatfully received, cheers.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: Sipadan Travel Advice

by obiwanwasabe Online Now Nov 20, 2004 at 8:09 AM

hiya, no worries about kidnappings, that has been sorted. The Island will be closed at the end of this year but no-one seems to know when but no worries as kapalai and mabul are within easy reach and are still open, you will need permits to dive sipadan. Check my pages. Nick

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Sipadan Travel Advice

by obiwanwasabe Online Now Nov 20, 2004 at 8:09 AM

hiya, no worries about kidnappings, that has been sorted. The Island will be closed at the end of this year but no-one seems to know when but no worries as kapalai and mabul are within easy reach and are still open, you will need permits to dive sipadan. Check my pages. Nick

• eugenetan's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Sipadan Travel Advice

by eugenetan Online Now Nov 20, 2004 at 8:56 AM

I'm going to Sipadan too next week. So far no further news of problems for tourist - so I'm crossing my fingers. Sipadan's fully booked out till end of year, when the resorts have to close down. Kapalai or Mabul appears to be available though and it could be base for diving at Sipadan in future - limited to 80 divers a day.

• Re: Re: Sipadan Travel Advice

by scubagoat Online Now Nov 22, 2004 at 10:55 AM

Cheers for the info. Are kapalai and mabul close enough to Sipadan for day boats or are we talking liveaboard territory? I've got two weeks in Sabah, basing myself in Kota Kinabalu, with the aim of setting a week aside for diving - wherever the best diving lies, I don't really mind travelling/heading east for that week or a few days. Any suggestions about where the best diving is? Are the permits required for Sipadan available locally or do you need to get them in advance from the mainland? Again all and any info gratefully received, cheers.

• sabahguy's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Sipadan Travel Advice

by sabahguy Online Now Nov 25, 2004 at 8:00 PM

Hi Scubagoat, From Kapalai and Mabul takes it a 30 minutes boat right to reach Sipadan. Normally, they will do two boat dives in the morning on Sipadan and one in Mabul or Kapalai. About safety, nobody understand the forreign goverments on sharpening there rules over safety. This is really bul ***, its the most safe place in the world. About permits, if you book your trip, you automatically get your permit to dive which costs RM40 a diver/week. Booking on Kapalai and Mabul can both made with me, if you want I can send you a quotation. For more info on me, check me out on www.sabah-borneo.nl or mail me direct on olaf@sabah-borneo.nl Cheers, Olaf

by obiwanwasabe Online Now Nov 27, 2004 at 12:40 AM

Hiya, I wouldn't go as far as to say it is the safest place in the world but security is good and very discreet on the islands now. Sipadan and mabul are both Island resorts but Kapalai is a water village between the two built on a reef and is sat alone in the middle of the sea at most states of tides, when you book a dive package from there it includes 2 0r 3 boat dives a day and unlimited platform dives from kapalai, boat takes 15 mins to mabul and 20 mins to sipadan, let people know in advance if you want to dive sipadan as permits are required. Nick

by scubagoat Online Now Dec 17, 2004 at 8:53 AM

Cheers for all the advice. Unfortunately I am now back after 15 days but the trip was absolutely fantastic. I ended up only spending 5 days on Mabul as I was tempted away by trips to Sukau etc but had the best diving I have had in years. Got to see a hammerhead at Sipadan Southpoint too, though it was at 47metres and at 6am - too deep and too early! Now its time to start arranging a return trip in April...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines