Pulau Seribu Travel Answers

change location
RyanWales's Profile Photo

Are there any 'backpacker' style people heading to the Islands?

by RyanWales Online Now May 19, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Hi all,

I have read a little online about the 1000 islands and it seems to me that it's more of a resort style place..?

Is there any cheap'ish accommodation to be found on any of the islands? I read that the ones furthest from Jakarta are nicest, is it possible to get a boat for relatively cheap then just find a room?

Any info regarding the islands would be appreciated, just looking for a general heads up really.

Thanks in advance Ryan

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • theo1006's Profile Photo

Re: Are there any 'backpacker' style people heading to the Islands?

by theo1006 Online Now May 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Hi, I have not been to Thousand Islands, but I looked up some blogs in Indonesian.
    True, the islands are a popular holiday destination for the well-to-do in Jakarta, giving rise to several resorts. But it really depends on what island you are going to.
    It seems that Pulau Pramuka caters for backpackers, i.e. Indonesian youth. Most come on a package deal. On the following website you find quitations starting at Rp 650,000 p.p. for two persons for a 2 days 1 night package, including transport, accommodation, four meals and snorkeling gear:
    pulaupramuka.com/harga-paket...

Another blog dated 2009 mentions rent of villa's for groups of up to 15 on Pulau Pramuka:
    arsmusic.wordpress.com/2010/....
    Wisma Delima, Wisma Dermaga, and Wisma PHPA, rate Rp 350,000 negotiable to Rp 250,000.

I hope this helps you to decide.
    Theo

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • theo1006's Profile Photo

by theo1006 Online Now May 20, 2012 at 12:42 AM

The Indonesian blogs talk of 'ojek kapal'.
    You know 'ojek'? It is the piggyback transport service on motorbike. You find them everywhere there is no regular (mini)bus service.
    ┬┤Ojek kapal' refers to a similar service by boat to the Thousand Islands. The fare of course depends on the distance, think of dollars in the single digits (sharing in a full boat).

• RyanWales's Profile Photo

by RyanWales Online Now May 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM

OK Theo, I think they are probably not my style with the whole package thing, there's plenty more Indonesian islands tho hey!

• dematy's Profile Photo

by dematy Online Now May 21, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Hi, what ur friend said is right. U can use motorbike to go there. I ever been there for camp. The place is very beautiful. U will like it. and the hotel is cheaper. u can contact me if u want to go there :)

• cokes's Profile Photo

by cokes Online Now May 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM

You can try Tidung Island. It`s cheap to go there and also they offer various trips where by you do a 3 island tour and snorkeling and pay for your own lunch on 1 of the islands. The boat going there takes about 2hour 30 mins from Maura Angke and it`s a traditional boat and we paid about 30 000IDR per person which is really cheap for the boat ride. Muara Angke is close to Ancol Marina but it`s a fish market ,the only bad thing about waiting for the boat there is the bad smell. The accommodation on Tidung island is very basic but really a great experience at a really cheap price. You also get bicycles to use to explore the island during the time of your stay. You check out my pics from their that I posted here on VT to get an idea of what it looks like. There is no resorts on the islands so most of the accommodation is home stay like they call it. We had a house situated right at the ocean and the owners lived in a house opposite us.

There is many websites to check for packages to Tidung Island so check out this link and some other one`s as well on the internet.

translate.google.co.za/trans...

by RyanWales Online Now May 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Tidung Island sounds interesting and far cheaper than some others I have read about. Cheers for the tip.

Which Islands are the most secluded / furthest from Jakarta?

Do you think heading to Muara Angke early Sunday morning and asking about boats to the more remote islands will be possible?

I keep reading that the islands furthest from JK are very beautiful but what are their names and is it easy enough to reach them?

Thanks for the info!

• dematy's Profile Photo

by dematy Online Now May 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

yup pulau tidung in pulau seribu is cheaper. But many pulau in pulau seribu, likes pulau pramuka, pulau lancang, etc. I think they all is cheaper. and better for u to go to pulau seribu then muara angke if u want to enjoy the situation.

• cokes's Profile Photo

by cokes Online Now May 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Check out this map with all the islands in a Thousand Island ,then you`ll be able to see which islands is furthest away. Not sure if can just pitch up to Muara Angke to get a boat for any of the furthest islands. What I do know is in Ancol Marina ,to the far left of Anchol Marina where most boats is parked there is an office that does the trips and so on to many of the islands in thousand island. The boats from here is better so the price is higher then the traditional boat in Muara Angke.

indonesiatraveling.com/image...

by RyanWales Online Now May 22, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Thanks for the map, I think we will just head to the port very early sunday morning and see if its possible to get on a boat to one of the islands, possibly Tidung..

Cheers people

• indri's Profile Photo

by indri Online Now May 24, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Hi Ryan,

I've been there many times and this weekend some of my best buddies will be there again.
    I usually go to Harapan Island since other big island like Tidung and pramuka already commercial and crowd so I choose this island and stay with local people.
    it cost lower for sure :)
    Actually it only cost around IDR 250K-300K for all in cost including meals 3 times a day. Cheap isn't it? :)
    You could take big boat from Muara angke. Take angkot from Grogol bus terminal and it cost only IDR 3K - 4K then from there take boat to harapan or Kelapa Island (since to harapan island the boat only have 1x schedule in a day). But from Kelapa they have maybe at least 2x times boat leaving to the island or vice versa. The boat cost around IDR 35K for 1 way. Once you make your way to main island (Tidung, harapan, Kelapa, Pramuka), you can rent small boat to do island hoping and it cost around IDR 200K-300K per day and you can share with at least 10-15 ppl.
    I have some contacts of local people who rent their house and boat and they also provide meals for you.

let me know if you need further info.

Enjoy Jakarta!!
    Indri

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines