Pulau Redang Travel Answers

change location

Sandflies/Malaria/Dengue in Redang or Perhentians?

by scoica Online Now Jun 11, 2009 at 7:31 AM

Hi travellers,

I am going to have my very first trip to Redang and the Perhentians in August this year.

Since I've never been there, it might be a naive question for me but... are there any health dangers I should be specially aware of on these islands? any danger of Malaria and Dengue from mosquitos?

as well, I heard there are sometimes sandflies that ruin your beach moments...are there any sandflies on any of the beaches in Redang or on the Perhentians?

cheers!feedback much appreciated! :)

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • ricky52's Profile Photo

Re: Sandflies/Malaria/Dengue in Redang or Perhentians?

by ricky52 Online Now Jun 11, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Mosquitoes, Malaria and Dengue Fever.

This is a question that appears quite a lot here on VT.
    You will hear from people who never take any kind of medication.
    You will hear from those who do.

May I suggest that you contact your own doctor, practice nurse or travel clinic and ask for their advice?
    If they recommend that you use some form of medication, get them to recommend the treatment.
    You may find that some treatments you make you ill, if so, ask the doctor for an alternative.

Different anti malaria medication effects different people in different ways, what is good for one person is not always good for another. You won't know this until you have tried a particular medicine.

Also you must remember that any anti malaria treatment MUST start before you reach the country you are visiting.

At present, there is no cure for Dengue Fever.
    Unlike the mosquitoes that cause malaria, dengue mosquitoes bite during the day.

Is prevention better than the cure?
    Of course it is.
    DEET based products are the most effective way of repelling mosquitoes.
    Available in different forms and strengths, users should always read the instructions carefully

“I will only be there 3 or 4 days, do I really need to take the medicine”
    It does not matter, if it is an infected area, 3 or 4 minutes is all it takes to get Malaria.

Either way, you can return from your holiday with some great photographs, a sun tan and good memories or in a body bag.
    The choice is yours.

True fact: - Malaria has killed more than half the people who have EVER lived.

This reply may appear to be a little melodramatic and over the top.
    IT IS MEANT TO BE.
    Too much irresponsible and bad information is given out over forums regarding the mosquito and its potential to kill.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines