Puerto Viejo

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Coconut Grove

Dominical Apr 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? It seems quite nice, and a good option (ie. meaning it's well reviewwed, around the $100 range and close to the beach).

We're trying to decide between Coconut Grove and Villas Rio Mar, which seems like another great option.

Thanks!

more
    • Liberia to Samara March 27th

Costa Rica Mar 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I'm looking for someone interested in sharing a shuttle or taxi on March 27th 2014 from LIR to Samara. I land around 12:30 and plan on traveling straight to Samara. Thanks, Stephen

more
    • July 5th - 15th in Costa Rica, where to go?

Costa Rica Apr 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Hi. My boyfriend and I are staying the night of the 5th in San Jose as our flight arrives late, but from there I get a bit overwhelmed as to where we should go. The only thing we have figured out is to stay on the Pacific coast. He's been to Costa Rica before and spent time in Tamarindo/Liberia/Montezuma, so we're aiming south.

Initially my thought was to rent a house/cabin (or whatever) in the Mal Pais or Santa Teresa area for the entire time and just take day trips, but the more I look into it I'm leaning towards Manuel Antonio, or splitting the time between the 2 places (Manuel Antonio and Santa Teresa). Is it feasible to do the latter? I've never been to Costa Rica so I think my perception of distance is a bit off.

We're looking to mostly enjoy the outdoors on this trip (hike, surf, see some cool wildlife, relax, etc.). The ferry from Puntarenas to Paquera sounds like fun. Ideally if I could roll out of my bed and land directly on the beach that would be great. But we are in our late twenties and wouldn't mind some night life to socialize and make some new friends to party with a bit. That being said making Jaco our "home base" sounds too intense for us.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

more
    • How to get there?

Corcovado National Park Mar 26, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Hey,
      how do you get from Heredia to Corcovado? Is there a some kind of trip possible? Since im travelling alone i would not mind a booked tour for 4 days or something.
      Thank you very much. I would not want to miss Corcovado but its very hard to get there.

more
    • Costa Rica Girls Trip

Costa Rica Mar 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Hi Im planning to have a vacation in Costa Rica, does anyone have experience Bachelorette party in Costa Rica?
      I saw page that contains good ideas. Here's the link costaricantimes.com/taking-a...

more
    • jmmerc02's Profile Photo

Month in Costa Rica--need guidance!

Costa Rica 4 hours ago

Planning to spend all of January, 2015 in Costa Rica....I have no idea what area/part of the country I should stay in and make my "base." I would certainly like to explore the country some, but mainly want to relax, enjoy the area I'm living in to get a feel for the day-to-day, and be able to walk/bike most places. I'm a 34-year-old single gay man. LOVE the beach and want to be close to one. Love dining. Love running, hiking and the outdoors. Love sailing. Love live music. Love people, but need my personal space--often. Don't necessarily care about the bar/club scene, though a night or two during my stay wouldn't be out of the question. I would definitely like to be able to meet others and/or have a couple beers/cocktails here and there. Essentially, I want to be around enough people--not isolated--but don't necessarily need downtown San Jose for 30 days either. Mainly using airbnb.com and vrbo.com for my rental search....not interested in a "resort." Something local, comfortable, and relatively safe for the solo traveler. Any thoughts or suggestions on cities/areas to focus my search? Any help is MUCH appreciated. Thanks! --Jacob

more
    • rid_gines's Profile Photo

Room in Nosara

Nosara Apr 2, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Hey All!

I will be volunteering at a school in Nosara from September til mid November and am looking for a place to stay. I like having people around. A shared apartment or anything like that would be great. Any ideas on how to find one?

more
    • GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Has anyone traveled on Avianca Airlines?

Costa Rica Mar 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this airline?

more
    • Costa Rica with injured knee

Costa Rica Mar 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Hi guys, I have planned a trip to Costa Rica end of May. Unfortunately I have ruptured my ACL in left knee. Till end of May my knee will recover but I won't have enough time for a surgery so I would have to travel without ACL. That means I'll be able to walk normally and taking stairs. But any non flat surface or unstable surface (as hanging bridges) could be a real problem.
      I will obviously remove all physical activity from the trip. The main thing for me is to see the nature. Do you think it still worth to go? Would I be able to visit all natural parks and volcanos?
      Thanks a ton!

more
    • kc4ness's Profile Photo

Travel Partner

Costa Rica Yesterday

I am a single traveler interested in finding a travel partner companion. So many places that I would like to visit penalize the single traveler and I am wondering if there is a source that is available for people like me?

more
    • is a car necessary?

Dominical Apr 6, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Hello, VTers! We have decided that we're doing 4 nights and 5 days in the Dominical / Quepos / Manuel Antonio area.

We're trying to do it without a car, but I'm not sure if it would make things very inconvenient for us, and it's just not worth it do that area without a car.

We arrive in Quepos via shuttle on the morning of Day 1, and we plan to go straight to Dominical. Would you recommend taking a public bus, or taxi down to Dominical from Quepos, if we don't have a car?

Then we were planning on spending the day in Dominical and Uvita on Days 1 and 2. For Days 3 and 4, we were planning on moving up to Quepos and MA, and then we fly out to San Jose on Day 5.

Would you recommend staying in Quepos / MA for the entire 4 nights, and doing day trips down to Dominical and Uvita? Or is a good idea to spend 2 nights in Dominical, and then 2 nights in Quepos? Do you recommend a car to do this? Or do you think that public transport is adequate? The bus from Quepos to Dominical seems to take 2 hours.

Even in Dominical, it seems it's advisable that we have a car. We were hoping to find accommodations (around $100 per night) in Dominical, but I can't seem to find a good place right in town. The good places seem to be either over $150, or pretty shabby. The places that are reasonable and well rated seem to require a car, as they're just outside of Dominical (ex. Villas Rios Mar).

What are your thoughts in trying to do this area without a car?

Many thanks in advance!

more
    • jacquisuiza's Profile Photo

From Alajuela (town) to Los Chiles

Alajuela Mar 24, 2014 at 3:39 AM

Hi all, I know that there are hourly buses from San José to Ciudad Quesada. I need to go early in the morning from Alajuela to Los Chiles to catch the bus to Caño Negro at 14.00. When and where does the bus leave in Alajuela? I will travel on a sunday, are there fewer buses?

more
    • shuttle from San Jose to Arenal

Costa Rica Mar 22, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Hi, All! Our flight arrives at 10:45am, and there is a shuttle (Interbus) that leaves from San Jose to Arenal at 2:30pm. We have set plans to go to Arenal after landing in SJO.

We would like to buy our tickets for the shuttle, but are concerned that our flight may be delayed or something. We are thinking we'll just buy our ticket when we arrive at the airport, but do you think the shuttle will sell out? Is it advisable to purchase shuttle tickets beforehand?

Thanks!

more
    • What to do between Arenal and Puerto Viejo?

by Meg1234 Online Now Feb 28, 2014 at 9:19 AM

My friend and I are arriving and leaving in San Jose, and have 12 days total. Our first 4 days are in Arenal, then we have 3 undecided days, then 5 in Puerto Viejo before we leave.
      Can anyone recommend a place to go that would be nice to see, in between Arenal and Puerto Viejo, but wouldn't add a lot of travel time?

1 Answer Feb 28, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    • Kayaking to Bocas Del Toro

by Stanthewoman Online Now Jan 8, 2014 at 8:51 AM

What sort of information do I need if I am going to be kayaking to Bocas Del Toro from near Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica.
      Can I get an exit stamp from Puerto Viejo?
      Where Do I get my entry paperwork stuff in Bocas, if I tie up to a marina, could they help out with the paperwork?

This might seem like a crazy adventure, but I've done lots and lots of trips like this in Alaska, with a tent and a Kayak... I am skilled in this endeavour. However do not know the legal mumbojumbo and need a little help.

K

2 Answers Feb 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    • Safety concerns

by jdoyle Online Now Nov 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Read that a guy on a bike got shot in the arm with a bb gun as he was biking earlier this month. What is going on with the safety issue there and do we need to have concerns biking???!!!

1 Answer Nov 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    • Punta Uva Nov.27th for 10 days

by jdoyle Online Now Nov 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM

What main concerns are there???!!!!!!

10 Answers Nov 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    • Diving to Puerto Viejo

by MyronJK Online Now Sep 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM

We are driving from Liberia to Puerto Viejo and was wonder how long the drive will take and the best route?

Thanks

1 Answer Sep 15, 2013 at 4:21 AM
    • twilightmuse's Profile Photo

Overnighter

by twilightmuse Online Now Aug 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I'm planning on being in Bocas Del Toro for a week and was thinking of taking a shuttle bus to Puerto Viejo for a night or so. I'm a lone female traveller and everything I read thus far about the area says there can be sketchiness with regards to crime. Has anyone been there that can offer some insight to the safety of the area and whether it is worth the hassle? Thanks

5 Answers Aug 30, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    • Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Is there a bus that runs from the Costa Rica side of the CR/Panama border to Puerto Viejo/Cocles?

by Tom_In_Madison Online Now Jul 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Is there a bus that runs from the Costa Rica side of the CR/Panama border to Puerto Viejo/Cocles?
      Schedule, cost, location? I can just walk across the border from Panama, but I'll need a bus/taxi to move on.

2 Answers Jul 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    • Seek house share for 2-3 months December 2012-March 2013

by tego Online Now Jul 2, 2012 at 3:48 AM

To VTers in Puerto Viejo:
      Does anyone need a temporary roommate in the Puerto Viejo/ Cahuita area? I am looking for a single room in a quiet 420-friendly place. Will be there two or three months, then return to Vermont in the spring. A reasonable guest house is also a possibility. Jungle and beach, hammock, quiet, a place to prepare simple meals, a room of my own. This is what I am looking for. Thanks for any offers or suggestions.

7 Answers Aug 2, 2012 at 4:43 AM
    • Travel help

by Lilian77 Online Now Apr 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Hi, we will be arriving in San Jose airport in April 4:05pm and I am concerned how to get to La Costa De Papito since the last bus leaves at 4:00pm.
      What are our options, we are family with 2 boys. How can we make it to Puerto Viejo less costly. what is a good place to stay in San Jose for the night?

As well we wanted to see Poas Volcano! How to go about from Puerto Viejo on May 8th to Alajuela, visit Poas Volcano, stay for the night and head back next day, May 9th to the airport, since we have a plane to catch at 12:20pm.
      Any helpful tips greatly appreciated.

2 Answers May 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    • tours from Puerto Viejo

by chadley2 Online Now Jun 17, 2011 at 7:35 AM

My husband I will be visiting Puerto Viejo this winter for 2 weeks. We want to do a tour to Bocas tel toro, preferably an over night tour at a hotel there, then return the next day.
      Does anyone have any advice, any web links I can view, what are my best options for planning this. Any information would be helpful.
      This will be our 2nd visit to Puerto Viejo. We visited 3 years ago and LOVED the area, we just did some local tours back then...sloth sanctuary, chocolate bri bri tour ect, can't wait to return again.

5 Answers Nov 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    • Paulo_Pinto's Profile Photo

Punta Uva

by Paulo_Pinto Online Now Aug 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Hi
      Punta Uva beach is really good ? In sorroundings are there supermarket or/and restaurants ? prices and quality ?
      What is the better period of the year to go ?

Thankd/Gracias

4 Answers Aug 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    • Zarasher's Profile Photo

San Jose to Puerto Viejo in mid June

by Zarasher Online Now May 1, 2009 at 6:50 AM

I am going to Costa Rica for the first time in June. I have some questions that I'd like to pose to anywone that can answer.

1) What is the weather like there in June?
      2) What are the best beaches to go to?
      3) Is there anywhere to change money there, pound sterling?
      4) How much do things cost, like how much is a can of coke?

With regards to San Jose can anyone tell me a reasonably priced hotel near the airport?

How much does it cost to get from San Jose to Puerto Viejo?

Thanks in advance!

7 Answers May 20, 2010 at 1:07 AM
    • Money matters

by alliebuti Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Hi,

I'll be staying in Puerto Viejo for two months this summer (June-August). I'm wondering how to do my banking...can you just withdraw from a local ATM using a US debit card? Anyone have suggestions about how to access my funds without having to bring a lot of cash (which would be hazardous and not smart). Thanks!

2 Answers Nov 11, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    • Burkynafaso's Profile Photo

Movie - Puerto Viejo

by Burkynafaso Online Now Mar 15, 2008 at 7:51 AM

hey my fellow travellers,

i have one question for you. I was in Puerto Viejo (Limon area) in september and one local guy told me there was some movie made down in Puerto Viejo (or maybe close area). I was trying to find out the name of the movie but haven't managed to. Does anybody know the name of the movie? I would really like to watch it and remember this awesome place on the earth.
      thanx a lot

p

5 Answers Apr 7, 2008 at 10:27 AM
    • Parquesito restaurant

by rostom Online Now Mar 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Can you please tell me the name of the owner of el parquecito,I heard he is the owner of several venues as welland if possible his nationality,
      Thank you,
      Srostom

1 Answer Mar 9, 2008 at 4:46 PM
    • air conditioning in Puerto Viejo, Limon area

by javajonnie Online Now May 25, 2007 at 10:29 AM

Hello...I know my POSTED TITLE may sound silly...but...

Planning a 3 week stay in Puerto Viejo area. Would prefer to rent a small cottage or house with AIR CONDITIONING (in bedroom only...is fine). Prefer Cocles, Play Chiquita or Punta Uva.

Do any members living in Puerto Viejo area have any suggestions? We arrive June 2 leaving June 20th.

Thank you in advance for any "leads".

JJ

• So is Chimuri Beach the place to be?

by alytourist Online Now Mar 6, 2007 at 4:14 AM

Several mentions of this Beach so far, but is it a great place to stay? I am looking at going there September for 4 weeks. Can you tell me if anyone has been to this part of CR and what are the high lights this country can offer at that time of the year? i am interested in clean budget beach accommodation and would like to see the major natural sights of the country comfortably during the month I am there. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2 Answers Apr 18, 2007 at 10:29 AM
    • Driving to Puerto Viejo del Caribe Costa Rica

by imcolombo Online Now Jan 16, 2007 at 7:13 PM

I'm planning on traveling to Puerto Viejo and Cahuita in CR soon and am wondering if I really need an SUV or is a regular car a possibility.

Last year I went to Jaco', Manuel Antonio on the pacific side and it was not a problem.

I know that in other areas of CR an SUV is a must, like parts of the Guanacaste coast and Monteverde if it's raining!

2 Answers Apr 7, 2007 at 8:43 PM
    • livinmydreams's Profile Photo

Fun solo travel place wanted in Puerto Viejo

by livinmydreams Online Now Nov 29, 2006 at 4:32 PM

I am 32 and will be traveling solo to Costa Rica this winter. I will be spending about 5 days in the Puerto Viejo are and would love some input on where to stay.

I am looking for a place that is clean, nice and doesn't have to many bugs in the room. I would also like to stay in a place where other solo travelers or groups of single people tend to stay. You know where the action is whatever that may be.

Any suggestions are greatly apprecited!

Christy

9 Answers May 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    • transportation to...

by luvdesun Online Now Oct 9, 2006 at 5:32 PM

Will someone please tell me how long it will take to drive from Arenal to Puerto Viejo an then from Puerto Viejo to Alajuela?
      Thanks so much!!!

2 Answers Oct 11, 2006 at 4:13 PM
    • 2_Canadians's Profile Photo

Place to Rent on the Beach?

by 2_Canadians Online Now Sep 21, 2006 at 8:11 PM

Hello,

I am looking to rent a home/cabin/cottage on or close to the beach was hoping someone here would know of a way to do this as the internet has limited options. I need a place to rent that is relaxing and "out of the way". I would like to rent it from mid OCT to mid DEC. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Holly

4 Answers Sep 23, 2006 at 8:40 PM
    • happydance's Profile Photo

What to do?

by happydance Online Now Aug 23, 2006 at 10:53 AM

Hi,
      I am planning my very first solo trip this December and I would like to go to Costa Rica. Dose anyone have suggestions for what part of CR I should visit. Puerto Viejo looks cool, but I am not sure. I am interested in surfing but I would need to take lessons because I am not an experienced surfer. What are some of the fun must do things in CR?

Thanks, Siobhan

3 Answers Apr 7, 2007 at 8:47 PM
    • Lidrokz's Profile Photo

Chimuri Beach Cottages ,Playa Negra, Puerto Viejo de T

by Lidrokz Online Now Aug 20, 2006 at 12:12 PM

Has any one ever stayed at the Chimuri Beach Cottages in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Limon?? If so....what did you think of it?
      Thanks
      Lidrokz

5 Answers May 11, 2007 at 9:50 AM
    • Mike_Swede's Profile Photo

Cocles in April?

by Mike_Swede Online Now Jan 31, 2006 at 12:48 PM

Hi all,
      going to CR mid April. San Jose for 1,5day then to Cahuita, and Playa Cocles (any recommendations where to stay? and any must-do!?.. while there, will be greatly appreciated!
      ? El Encanto ? and Azenia Bunglows ?
      Intend to rent a car from Tricolor (anyone with experience from them?).
      Saludos/M

1 Answer Feb 15, 2006 at 12:41 PM
    • haighr's Profile Photo

Treehouse Punta Uva

by haighr Online Now Oct 14, 2005 at 11:06 AM

Planning a visit to CR next Christmas 2006. How is the Treehouse? Ever stayed there? Is it as adventuresome as it appears? Any expertise appreciated. I like the unusual and this appears to qualify.

3 Answers Dec 24, 2005 at 11:31 AM
    • bdaguy's Profile Photo

driving from arenal

by bdaguy Online Now Nov 1, 2004 at 1:40 PM

driving from arenal to les palm during november , any do`s or don`t besides not driving at night ???

1 Answer Nov 4, 2004 at 8:38 AM
    • bdaguy's Profile Photo

driving in costa rica

by bdaguy Online Now Oct 26, 2004 at 7:05 AM

going to be in coats rica early nov with wife anf 9 year old, rented a 4 wheel and planning to drive to arenal then to limon any do`s or don`t ???

3 Answers Sep 21, 2005 at 11:03 AM
    • las palmas

by donc53 Online Now Jun 27, 2004 at 12:26 PM

I am planning a trip to puerto viejo at the end of august. I was thinking about staying at las palmas hotel but i have not been able to find any reviews of the place. Has anybody stayed there or does anyone know anything about the location?

3 Answers Sep 29, 2004 at 1:23 PM