Puerto Viejo Travel Answers

change location

Travel help

by Lilian77 Online Now Apr 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Hi, we will be arriving in San Jose airport in April 4:05pm and I am concerned how to get to La Costa De Papito since the last bus leaves at 4:00pm.
What are our options, we are family with 2 boys. How can we make it to Puerto Viejo less costly. what is a good place to stay in San Jose for the night?

As well we wanted to see Poas Volcano! How to go about from Puerto Viejo on May 8th to Alajuela, visit Poas Volcano, stay for the night and head back next day, May 9th to the airport, since we have a plane to catch at 12:20pm.
Any helpful tips greatly appreciated.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • ZeekLTK's Profile Photo

Re: Travel help

by ZeekLTK Online Now May 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Yeah, buses seem to only run from early morning until mid afternoon - very few go at night. I guess they don't like driving through the mountains in the dark.

There are a lot of places to stay though. In San Jose we stayed at Dianna's Inn and it was like45 a night for a room with one bed (so it might be a little more for a room with more beds). It's right in the heart of downtown so it's a nice location, with a big park right across the street too. I'm sure there are lots of other places too, just look around online.

Then just take the bus in the morning. Buses are very cheap, won't be more than a few dollars per person to take. We took the bus from San Jose up to Ciudad Quesada and that only cost like3 each.

One thing though, even though Costa Rica is a fairly small country, the roads are not that great and it does take time to get from one place to another, so you probably don't want to plan too much to do on days that you are traveling from one city to another - it will take several hours due to the terrain.

So it might not be a good idea to try to travel from Puerto Viejo all the way to Alajuela AND visit Poas Volcano on the same day. If possible, maybe leave Puerto Viejo on May 7th and then visit the Volcano on May 8th? Otherwise, you would have to leave really early in the morning to be able to get to Alajuela with enough time to still visit the Volcano, and even then you might still have to rush.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ZeekLTK's Profile Photo

Re: Travel help

by ZeekLTK Online Now May 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I just realized it's already May 13. lol

Sorry - did you manage to figure everything out and visit the volcano?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines