Puerto Viejo Travel Answers

change location
livinmydreams's Profile Photo

Fun solo travel place wanted in Puerto Viejo

by livinmydreams Online Now Nov 29, 2006 at 4:32 PM

I am 32 and will be traveling solo to Costa Rica this winter. I will be spending about 5 days in the Puerto Viejo are and would love some input on where to stay.

I am looking for a place that is clean, nice and doesn't have to many bugs in the room. I would also like to stay in a place where other solo travelers or groups of single people tend to stay. You know where the action is whatever that may be.

Any suggestions are greatly apprecited!

Christy

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • crewsada's Profile Photo

RE: Fun solo travel place wanted in Puerto Viejo

by crewsada Online Now Nov 29, 2006 at 5:16 PM

Hi there Dont know about Puerto viejo, but if you are gonna be elsewhere mlt me know. The coolest place to meet peeps a hostel called Pangea which is in San Jose if you re going via there and you can get help from there

Let me kbnow if theres anything else

Happy travels

Matt

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • livinmydreams's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Fun solo travel place wanted in Puerto Viejo

by livinmydreams Online Now Nov 30, 2006 at 1:36 PM

Thanks for the info... Where have you been in Costa Rica? I end a yoga adventure group thing in San Jose and have 5 days to play before heading home. Any suggestions would be great. I am traveling alone for the first time so I definately need to keep it safe but fun at the same time.

Looks like you have definately been out there traveling, good for you.

by crewsada Online Now Dec 1, 2006 at 9:43 AM

Hi again
    Depends on what you want to do. I like La Fortuna, Monteverde, and Arenal for the live volcano and for the rafting, kayaking, nature, cloud forests and abseiling etc.
    But others like the coast for surfing places like tamarindo for the beaches and right at this moment of time, the sea turtles are hatching and coming onto the beach.
    What things do you fancy doing then?
    Luego

M

by livinmydreams Online Now Dec 1, 2006 at 12:12 PM

The 1st week I am there I am doing a yoga adventure vacation where we hike, kayak, white water raft for 3 days and do the rainforest canopy zip line thing. So that 2nd week I am in for lounging, kayaking, snorkeling if the water is warm enough, meet interesting people and socialize.

by crewsada Online Now Dec 3, 2006 at 7:56 PM

Ok. The 'Canopy mecca of the world' is surely Monteverde with at least a half-doz companys doing the zipwire, james bond, canopy thingy. Would highly recommend 'Skytrek' as the company with the state-of-the-art-equip, but the other good ones are just as satisfying such as 'Aventura' and 'Selvatura' - all around the 35usd mark. The offices are right in the centre of Santa Elena village which is right at the centre of 'Monteverde' area. Let me know if you have interest with directions to there or if the national parks and the wildlife you expect to see there are something else you may be interested in.
    Ciao
    M

• RE: Fun solo travel place wanted in Puerto Viejo

by Grootpiet Online Now Dec 21, 2006 at 7:49 PM

There is a very interesting place called Rocking J's on the beachfront in Puerto Viejo. Somewhat of a hostel/get together with a bar, camping, hammocks to sleep in etc. May be some of what you have in mind. Info at www.rockingjs.com

The town also has movie nights at some bars, clubs where you can go dancing etc. It seems that Puerto Viejo gets more European visitors than e.g. Guanacaste, and may be tied to the laid-back atmosphere.

One of my favourite places in Costa Rica.

• RE: RE: Fun solo travel place wanted in Puerto Viejo

by alytourist Online Now Mar 6, 2007 at 3:16 AM

I am thinking about going to CR this September for a month. Your yoga adventure plan sounds interesting. Was it in SJ? Can you post info or website where I can find out more about this please?

by livinmydreams Online Now Mar 10, 2007 at 12:33 PM

the yoga adventure vacation was amazing, I highly recommend it. The company name is Vaja Sol and you can find them on the intenet. Sandra is the owner, yoga instructor and tour guide. She is a great person. We had a group of 5 people which was nice, not to large. We stayed in beautiful jungle lodges in the middle of the rain forest. We went on jungle hikes, swam in jungle water falls, kayaked, rafted, hiked to a volcano, zip lined and went to the beach.

The price is really great as well, about1500 for the week including all food, lodging, activities and yoga. Check it out.

• Re: Fun solo travel place wanted in Puerto Viejo

by kbndn1 Online Now May 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Hello,

I am doing some research on traveling to Costa Rica, particularly the Puerto Viejo area. I, too, will be a solo traveler (female) and wanted to know about your experience. I assume I will fly from the US to San Jose airport and travel by bus to Puerto Viejo? How much is the cost for travel by bus? Also, would you recommend any hotels? I would love a nice hotel on the beach or a BB; however, nothing too pricey. Cost per night? Also what about food, how much should I expect to spend per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner)? And lastly, what about activities (horseback riding, tubing, paragliding, etc?) Is there any particular place I should visit? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Karla

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines