Puerto Viejo Travel Answers

change location
bdaguy's Profile Photo

driving in costa rica

by bdaguy Online Now Oct 26, 2004 at 7:05 AM

going to be in coats rica early nov with wife anf 9 year old, rented a 4 wheel and planning to drive to arenal then to limon any do`s or don`t ???

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • costaricaguide's Profile Photo

Re: driving in costa rica

by costaricaguide Online Now Oct 26, 2004 at 9:16 AM

If you haven't planned your route yet I'd recommend roughly San José>Zarcero>San Carlos>Fortuna or San JoséSan Ramon>Tigra>Fortuna then head to the Guápiles highway (32) via Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí rather than returning to the central valley. You'll get a chance to drive the other section of 32 through Braulio Carrillo on your return from the Caribbean. One don't would be don't stop at Limón. Keep going to Cahuita, Punta Uva, Manzanillo... Another is don't drive at night. Pura Vida & Buen Viaje Ray, Costa-Rica-Guide.com __________________________ Tico Trivia The "tears" that sea turtles "cry" are just their way of excreting excess salt.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bdaguy's Profile Photo

Re: driving in costa rica

by bdaguy Online Now Oct 27, 2004 at 5:32 AM

thanks for the tip ...... i`ll post how things went when i get back .

• Seryano's Profile Photo

RE: driving in costa rica

by Seryano Online Now Sep 21, 2005 at 11:03 AM

Limon gets a lot of bad press but it is not deserved. Limon is a port city. Like port cities all over the world, it has the personality of a port city, so you have to watch yourself.

They have a charming downtown section with native market. Walk the streets freely, just be aware of who is around you. On Saturday mornings they have a giant farmer's market with a tremendous array of fruits and vegetables (It is slightly out of town, on the road to San Jose).

Limon has a terrific restaurant called El Faro. It is up on the top of a hill overlooking the harbor with a great view and they serve the best steak I had in Coasta Rica. Moderate prices.

Chauita is excellent for the beaches, smaller hotels and it is popular with backpackers. You can drive there from Limon in 40 minutes.

Another 30 minutes or so and you'll be in Puerto Viejo. The roads to get there are laden with potholes.

Continue down the road, and a couple of miles past Puerto Viejo, in Cocles, you will find a charming bungalow hotel called Caribe Blue. It has been built in the jungle. It is a very nice place and romantic with an excellent Italian chefed restaurant.

Here is one big DON'T: Don't flash your new clothes and jewelry. The people in Coasta Rica are poor. The more you blend in the better off you will be.

DO: No matter where you park, at night, take EVERYTHING out of your car!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines