Puerto Varas Travel Answers

change location

Lake Crossing

by janetlee Online Now May 8, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I read from other VT members about lake crossing from Puerto Varas to Bariloche. It seems that it is worthwhile to take that trip. We will be going to the Lake District of Chile in next April. Will there be lake crossing? Will be boat/cruise service be closed during that time of the year?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Lake Crossing

by Odinnthor Online Now May 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I responded inyour other forum. The boats can be taken either way, from Puerto Montt to Bariloce or vice versa.......

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • patagoniapaul's Profile Photo

by patagoniapaul Online Now May 9, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Hi: The crossing will be possible but the timing is dicey. It is a rather expensive trip and in rain you will see nothing. It rains quite frequently in autumn. If you want to do it I would seriously considder not booking in advance but to do the booking after you have arrived in Pto Varas and have had a good look ath the weather forcasts which we have found quite accurate.

• Re: Lake Crossing

by Huentetu Online Now May 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM

The trip is done in one day in summer, but at other times of the year you have to overnight in Peulla. Shorter daylight hours. Clocks change in March, so I imagine the trip is a two day one in April. There are only two hotels, so you need to factor the cost into an already expensive trip.

by janetlee Online Now May 9, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Thanks for your information!

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

by spidermiss Online Now Jul 18, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Hi, I did the 1 day Lakes Crossing from Puerto Varas to Bariloche in November 2008 (Spring). As others said, the crossing is done in 2 days in the autumn/winter and staying overnight in Peulla. I think it's Hotel Peulla although I'm not sure. The weather was very mixed when I did the crossing (very windy and rainy on the last leg of the trip) and this is something you have to consider especially in winter time. What I saw was stunning but I felt the views could have been more so with nicer weather. However, I would recommend it for someone who hasn't done it before.

by Huentetu Online Now Jul 18, 2010 at 3:17 PM

What you might do is take a day excursion from Puerto Varas to Peulla and back. I am not sure if these will be running in April but usually things run until Easter. Then take the bus from Puerto Varas to Bariloche. In April you can book either of these a day before and can see if the weather is good enough for the Peulla trip or the Cruce Andino trip.
    There are two hotels at Peulla, the Hotel Peulla and the Natura. They cost about the same but the second one is nicer.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines