Puerto Rico, Island of Travel Answers

change location

July vacation

by krmm Online Now Apr 28, 2011 at 12:49 PM

can someone suggest a nice place for two friends in their 50s to vacation in PR in July?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • risse73's Profile Photo

Re: July vacation

by risse73 Online Now Apr 28, 2011 at 3:44 PM

You can check the VT Puerto Rico travel guide or check my PR page "general tip" section for further info. I'm too lazy to re-write what I wrote there, so just check it or read it using this URL:

Puerto Rico Favorite Tips by risse73

Good Luck & Enjoy Beautiful Puerto Rico!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vabchtraveler's Profile Photo

by vabchtraveler Online Now Apr 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM

My friend and I stayed in downtown Old San Juan at a lovely place called Caleta 64. It is not a hotel, but rather is 4 apartments on the best street in OSJ. The most expensive hotel, El Convento, is directly across the park from Caleta 64 and the Catedral de San Juan sets at the head of the street. The Children's Museum is adjacent to the park. The one block long street, Caleta de San Juan, ends at the last gate the sailors used to enter the old city. Through the gate is the Paseo de la Princessa - a lovely stroll beside the bay.

Our apartment had a kitchen and a flat screen tv (which we never turned on), a queensized bed, and a queen sleeper sofa. The rate was very reasonable for San Juan. The location was so very perfect. We were midway up the hill (OSJ is one steep place) so we could easily go up or down one block and over laterally to get to scores of shops and restaurants. On Saturday evening, we saw a wedding reception at El Convento, people sitting in the park enjoying the delightful weather, and heard music coming from little clubs. We walked over to El Convento and met some folks who were going to be cruising with us. We all sat on the outside patio and got to know each other a little better.

On Sunday we went exploring to see the various statues and monuments we missed previously (this was our 3rd trip). Again, people were sitting in the park and the Latin of the Mass spilling from out the cathedral- walk a little further and more church music sung in Spanish with deep voices and light made the day a delightful one for wandering rather aimlessly. Oh, yes, where was I?

Caleta 64 -- it feels like home. You just begin to accept that you are coming back to your own apartment in the city - the other Caleta patrons were wonderful, too. We all felt like we were a part of it all. Even the folks walking up and down the street would stop to talk if we had our windows open.

Check out caleta64.com for pictures and look at the reviews on Trip Advisor. I would live there if I could. Oh, yeah, Betsy is wonderful. She and her husband own the apartments and a shop about a block away.

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Apr 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM

We love OSJ but I think for an entire vacation of any length it might be a little confining. We spent 10 days out at Palmas Del Mar and loved it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Puerto Rico, Island of