Puerto Rico, Island of Travel Answers

change location
Dianabit's Profile Photo

Culebra Island

by Dianabit Online Now Jan 16, 2004 at 9:09 AM

My husband and I are thinking of traveling to this island. Has anyone traveled here? Beaches? Recreational activities, etc. If so, your thoughts are welcomed. Thanks in advance!!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Smilin_Steve's Profile Photo

Re: Culebra Island

by Smilin_Steve Online Now Jan 16, 2004 at 9:28 AM

I just posted some thoughts on places to go while in Puerto Rico. Culebra is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL place on Earth. It takes a while to get there on the ferry. Maybe flying if you don't like the boat movement. The Flamingo Beach is absolutely spectacular. Off the ferry, the town is small, but easliy excessible. Many drivers available for pretty cheap. Are you staying there for long, or just the day. I wish I'd stayed for at least the entire weekend, but just the day gave me a new perspective on life (well, sort of). It's the place that the travel magazines get their inspiration for photos. Carumba! Let me know your plans, and I can help guide you. Have fun, and wear LOTS of sunscreen. Ouch!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Culebra Island

by volvo99 Online Now Jan 24, 2004 at 9:21 PM

It is a fine travel experience. At first glance it retains a "Margaritaville" dilapidated charm. Flamengo Beach is a broad powdery beach with ample space and limited facilities. The port of Dewey has small restaurants, bars, dive shops and hotels owned by moslty north american expatriates. They tend to segregate from the locals, so contact with the locals may have to be an effort. There are limited ATM and other services on the island. No public transport on the island, so it is worthwhile to hire a taxi for excursions. Getting to and from the dock in Fajardo and Vieques is by scheduled ferry, or direct air service via charter from San Juan.

• CulturalCompetence's Profile Photo

Re: Culebra Island

by CulturalCompetence Online Now Jul 11, 2004 at 12:57 AM

I just posted a bunch of information about Culebra on my travel pages. Check them out! We went there last August and absolutely LOVED it! :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Puerto Rico, Island of