Puerto Madryn Travel Answers

change location

peninsula valdes- punta lombo

by bean4bean4 Online Now Jan 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Can anyone help me with this one. Is punta lombo natural reserve a part of peninsula valdes? If not, which one is the most interesting?

Also, I know it may be difficult to answer but I'll also visit Punta Arenas in Chile a few days before going to Puerto madryn. In Punta Arenas I can visit the Magdalena Island or the Otway bay to see penguins. As I don't want to see the same thing twice, which one would you recommend between Magdalena Island, Otway bay, lombo natural reserve or peninsula valdes??

thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

Re: peninsula valdes- punta lombo

by TexasDave Online Now Jan 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I think you mean Punta Tombo. If so, the answer is no. It is about as far away from Puerto Madryn as the Valdes Peninsula but in the opposite direction- Tombo is to the South and Valdes is to the North. Either one would be just about a whole day's excursion because of the distances involved and the lower rate of speed due to traveling on gravel roads.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Porteno's Profile Photo

Re: peninsula valdes- punta lombo

by Porteno Online Now Jan 14, 2009 at 10:38 AM

It is a bit confusing since there is a Punta Tombo and a Punta Loma so not really sure which you need information about. Anyway this website is pretty good primer for visiting the area and you can find your answers there.
    welcomeargentina.com/costasu...

Suerte
    SAM

• Re: peninsula valdes- punta lombo

by Solpatagonia66 Online Now Feb 22, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Hello, I live and work in the area, with tourists.
    There are two different places mentioned here: PUNTA TOMBO and PUNTA LOMA
    You can see penguins in Punta Tombo, it is a natural reserve and it is the biggest continental reserve of magellan penguins in the world, where you can walk among the penguins. It is amazing, but difficult to describe, you have to experience it yourself. It is located 180 km south from Puerto Madryn, what makes a 2 1/2 hs trip, but it´s worth it, trust me, and roads are paved.
    Punta Loma is a natural reserve where you can see sea lions, it´s the only permanent rockery in the area and it is only 12 km from Puerto Madryn.
    If you need more information don´t hesitate to contact me.
    Hope I´ve been helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines