Puerto Madryn Travel Answers

change location

Has anyone taken a day tour to the penguin colony at Punta Tombo?

by travelinggrandma Online Now Jan 2, 2004 at 9:32 PM

My husband and I, both seniors, will have a day in Puerto Madryn while on a cruise. We are currently signed up to take an excursion to the penguin colony at Punta Tombo. We have read great things about it, but it involves a 2 1/2-hr. bus trip in each direction -- on mostly gravel roads. Has anyone done this? Would the ride be too uncomfortable for 70-year-old bones? Did you think it was worth the trip? If we decide not to go see the penguins, is there anything to see in Puerto Madryn?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • tompt's Profile Photo

Re: Has anyone taken a day tour to the penguin colony at Punta Tombo?

by tompt Online Now Jan 3, 2004 at 12:07 AM

The trip is not very comfortable, but i think you can do it. And it will certainly be worth it! The thousands of penguins all around you is a sight you will never forget. Although we were on a grouptour overland and didn't take a daytrip, your trip will be very simular. We travelled in a bus with about 20 persons. It was along trip, but not too long. And the shaking etc was not too bad. Just don't sit in the back of the bus, that is were it gets the worst. Have fun! Gonnie

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • andal13's Profile Photo

Re: Has anyone taken a day tour to the penguin colony at Punta Tombo?

by andal13 Online Now Jan 3, 2004 at 4:18 PM

Hi! Punta Tombo is a great place, indeed, but the trip is quite uncomfortable (the road is pretty bad). Anyway, it deserves the visit. Find out if there are penguins where you visit the place, because penguins go there only during reproductive season (from September to February, aproximately). Another interesting day tour is the visit to Gaiman (the Welsh town), and Puerto Madryn itself is a beautiful place, with a lot of activities. Andrea

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines