Puerto López Travel Answers

change location
jacquisuiza's Profile Photo

Place to swim??

by jacquisuiza Online Now Dec 21, 2005 at 4:26 AM

Hi
I would like to know if Puerto Lopez is a safe place to swim or just being at the beach for children? Does Villa Colombia has private rooms for 4 people?
Thanks for help

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • namastedc's Profile Photo

RE: Place to swim??

by namastedc Online Now Dec 21, 2005 at 8:06 PM

Like most of Ecuador's beaches - the surf does change from day to day. On most days, especially at low tide, it is perfectly safe to swim in Puerto Lopez. At high tide, when the water hits the steeper part of the beach, the undertow can get pretty strong.

As for the hotel, I would recommend Mandala. THey have great, large clean cabanas that have a loft for the kids. THey have a million games and musical instruments, as well as a pool table, lanterns to bring to the beach, hammoks, and great danes that will join you for a walk on the beach! My wife and I stayed there at least 5 times - we wouldn't go anywhere else in Puerto Lopez after how well we were treated there the first time. The restaurant is great for breakfast but we usually walked down the beach to the center of town for dinner - it is a 5 minute, very safe walk even in the dark.

Good luck!
    Damon

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mikebmikeb's Profile Photo

RE: Place to swim??

by mikebmikeb Online Now Nov 15, 2006 at 12:26 AM

Hi

I think Puerto Lopez's beaches are pretty safe but not that clean beacuse it's a fishing village. I recommend the beaches south of Puerto Lopez (Salagno, Machalilla National Park).
    We stayed at a hostel called www.hosteria-islamar.com.ec. It's about 4km south from Puerto Lopez and has very nice bungalows for 4 to 5 people in a bungalow. The place is perfectly safe and there are 2 pristine beaches.

• DouglasH1's Profile Photo

Re: Place to swim??

by DouglasH1 Online Now Nov 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Go to Victor Hugo Hotel, its the nicest hotel now, recently finished and the cleanest, no nasty bug surprises

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines