Provincie Noord-Holland Travel Answers

change location

EU citizen - first time abroad, airport and other questions

by atheros Online Now May 28, 2005 at 12:55 AM

Hello all :)

First of all, I'm glad to be here, since this was the first site that I found when I first started to look for information on Amsterdam. I have become wiser after reading a lot of stuff here, and congratulations to everybody for making this community such a great place to be :)

I'm going to be in Amsterdam for six days/five nights on late July-early August, and since this is my first time abroad, I'm still a bit troubled as to whether I need a passport to travel from Greece to Netherlands or not. Is it true that I only need my ID for direct flights between EU nations ? Is there any other paperwork that I need to be aware of/bring along in the airport ?

On another note, I was thinking of visiting some stores that sell stuff like clothes, bags, oil, soaps etc. made from hemp. We use the term 'kannabishops' for places like that here in Greece. What I'd really like to know is whether I would be able to carry a gift purchased from such a store in the airport with me or it would be illegal ? Do you know of any good stores like that in Amsterdam ?

Also, I'm thinking about lowering the amount of cash that I will be carrying on a daily basis with me to the absolute minimum. For this I will probably use the I Amsterdam card and my VISA, so I was wondering about ATM's that allow money withdrawal from VISA cards - are there enough ? What about Maestro cards ?

Finally, the annual Amsterdam Arena Tournament is being held on the time period that I will be in Amsterdam. Since I'm an Ajax supporter, I would like to see the team playing and of course the stadium. Do you think it would be easy for me to find a ticket for the tournament on those days or I should book in advance ? Is there a way to book online ?

Please accept my apologies for the length of my post. I understand that some of my questions are probably kind of silly, but as I said this is my first time abroad and I think it's probably natural for first-timers to have silly questions :)

Thanks for your time,
Fotis.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: EU citizen - first time abroad, airport and other questions

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Old bookmark

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines