Provincia de Buenos Aires Travel Answers

change location
ohaiyo's Profile Photo

safety tips

by ohaiyo Online Now Feb 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I'm planning a trip to Argentina. I will be traveling by myself. However, I have heard about saftey issues in Buenos Aires. I know of two people who have been robbed by taxi drivers. If anyone one has any tips regarding safety issues and what scams and schemes to look out for in Buenos Aires, please let me know.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Re: safety tips

by easterntrekker Online Now Feb 9, 2012 at 6:24 AM

We travelled around Buenos Aires by cab ,and by metro and on foot .At no time were we threatened. Problems can happen anywhere but honestly I don't think its any worse than most places. Just take normal precautions.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • spidermiss's Profile Photo

Re: safety tips

by spidermiss Online Now Mar 24, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Not sure if you've gone to Argentina yet.

I've been to Buenos Aires twice and I had no problem whatsoever but I know some travellers have been robbed/pickpocketed during their stays. One of them had suncream splattered on her - this is a distracting techinque! The thief can steal one's stuff whilst one is busy cleaning herself with the thief's friend who becomes a "helper" - fortunately, she suspected early and got away with everything in tact. I think it's down to taking usual precautions and also being aware of the surroundings.

As for taxis take only metered ones or call in advance for a radio taxi and only book an remise through an authorised agency for trips to airport and bus station (paying in advance for a remise is always better). The taxi drivers I came across on my visits were pretty trustworthy but I always ensured I had the correct change so I didn't risk being shortchanged (which can be common there).

Areas to avoid (was advised by the locals): Non tourist areas of La Boca; immediate surroundings around Once railway station; Constitucion and immediate surroundings around Retiro Bus Station.

Hope this helps and have a great time!
    Dawn

• Re: safety tips

by Jimmy.J Online Now Aug 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Hello! I don't know if you have already done your trip to Buenos Aires yet but...
    I agree with the others, Buenos Aires is a city, you just need to use some common sense. This means when you are on a subway or bus, keep your bag within your sight, be aware of your surroundings and know what is going on. If it is night time and you are alone, don't walk around, take a taxi or get where you need to go, don't linger in the streets. Also With taxi drivers, I have never personally had a problem, but just make sure that you have smaller bills to pay with and either work out a deal ahead of time or make sure they have a meter so you know exactly how much you have to pay.

With certain areas, like La Boca, try and go there during the morning, and I would suggest leaving there before dusk, it is just safer, especially since you will be alone. I don't want to scare you, because Buenos Aires is a great city, and you most likely won't have any problems, you just have to have your wits about you :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Provincia de Buenos Aires Travel Answer Locations