Province of Southern Leyte Travel Answers

change location

From Cebu, to Maasin

by Lonethunderbird Online Now Jan 3, 2008 at 1:08 PM

I am flying to Cebu and I need to get to Maasin. I realize that I am not going to drive there, but is there any way I can charter a boat or is there a ferry going to Maasin City in Southern Layte? If there is a ferry, how long does it take and what is the price, in PHP? I still do not know the price of a hotel In Maasin either... So that would be much appreciated if anyone can suggest something... Thanking you in advance...
Lone.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • asianbelle's Profile Photo

Re: From Cebu, to Maasin

by asianbelle Online Now Jan 3, 2008 at 6:12 PM

There used to be a fast craft from Cebu City to Maasin that takes 2 hours. Is this no longer in operation? Again, I'm not sure if this is still operational, but you can check Southern Comfort.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: From Cebu, to Maasin

by lola.ora Online Now Jan 28, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Hi, have you been there already, hope this info might help just in time.

Afaik, there are/some boats that travel Cebu-Maasin & vv on a regular schedule (by night? not really sure). I know this because my father is from Hilongos, Leyte (Maasin to Hilongos or vv is a 45 minutes to 1 hour travel time by Vhire) and Cebu-Hilongos & vv boat tavel nightly/or daily. And just very recently I've been to Maasin City processing the social security papers/docs of my father who passed away last december 29 '07 (he died there while vacationing but we are really based in the NCR or the Metropolis region). I just don't know if anyone can charter a boat to go to Maasin anytime of the day, just ask some people at the airport but just be aware. Based on my experience, if you go to Hilongos Leyte from Cebu and the boat leaves at night say 8PM, it arrives at the Hilongos pier at early hours of the morning (3-5 AM). The price for a boat trip, the last I heard is around Php 170.00/person. It also depends on the class/deck of the boat where you wanna stay for the rest of the trip. If Maasin is much farther than Hilongos from Cebu, then you add around 100-200 pesos more.

If you cannot/unable to charter a ferry/boat and you cannot wait for the scheduled trips of the regular boats at night, you might try to take the alternative Supercat ferry, it travels by day and they have schedule, try to search for the Supercat website (by AW&G group that operates Superferry ships here). The website says travel is around 2 hours & some minutes usually in the mornings only around 8AM (please check their website) from Cebu to Ormoc only. From Ormoc you need to travel by buses/vans to get to Maasin City. Travel time by bus or vans to Maasin may take 1-2 hours depending on the speed of the driver Bus fare from ormoc to maasin may be around 75-150 pesos and van fares maybe a little higher by 50 pesos. It is advisable to take the vans or Vhire in their lingo as this mode of transpo is much faster (but costs a little higher) because of the limited seating capacity, thus frequent stop & go of the van is lessened. I know this because I will be coming back to Maasin City myself & did some research as to what route to take for the most economical/practical/fastest way possible from Manila to Maasin.

As for the hotels, I really don't know the rates in Maasin City. If you know the rates of Cebu hotels, then the rates may not differ much, because Maasin City is more like Metro Cebu already if my observation is correct. That still depends on the hotel class also, if its 1st/2nd, etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Province of Southern Leyte Travel Answer Locations