Providence Travel Answers

change location

boston to providence transportation problem..

by chloegovan Online Now Apr 1, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Hi,

I'm flying to Boston and getting a train to Providence from there. My flight gets in at 6:30 and train leaves at 6:50, so unless the flight gets in very early, there's no chance of catching it. (how long does it take in a taxi from boston airport to backbay station?)
second, I'm concerned as the next train after that does not get in until 9:50 - is it possible to catch a taxi from boston to providence and would this be expensive? otherwise is there anything in the local area of amtrak boston that I could do for a couple of hours (!)

I would really appreciate advice to save a boring wait! I don't drive..

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • SirHalberd's Profile Photo

Re: boston to providence transportation problem..

by SirHalberd Online Now Apr 1, 2007 at 8:06 PM

There is both "Amtrak" and a local "Boston to Providence" train called the "T" leaving Boston for Providence.

Maybe I missed it but you don't say if you arrive in the A.M. or P.M. If you arrive on a weekend the train schedules are different than during the week too!

Here is the web page address for the MBTA: www.mbta.com which schedules trains to Providence pretty often.

There is an MBTA station at the airport (subway) that has connections to both South Station and Backbay. There is a free shuttle bus that takes you to that MBTA station at the airport.

My schedule has a MBTA train leaving South Station at 8:15 PM for Providence arriving there at 9:19 PM.

Boston to Providence taxi - figure on80 to120 for the ride.

There is a bus that used to make stops at the airport and drop passengers off along the route to the Providence bus terminal.

Contact the bus company at: peterpanbus.com/tickets/fare...

Dep 7:15 PM Arr 9:00 PM22.00

I take the Boston to Providence train pretty often (I get off in South Attleboro.)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Apr 1, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Just in case you are trying to find the Providence Airport (T.F. Green Airport) it is not in Providence! You still would have to go from the city of Providence to Warwick, RI.

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

by Bunsch Online Now Apr 2, 2007 at 3:12 PM

SirHalberd is correct. I'm more of a bus person than a train person, and often use the PeterPan/Bonanza lines for transit from Logan Airport to downtown Providence. They run roughly every hour, and it takes about an hour to get from Point A to Point B, and costs16 (last time I went, at least). DO NOT take a taxi. If you've got that kind of money, you could just hire a limo!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines