Progreso Travel Answers

change location

traveling to Progresso

by sjwallace Online Now Dec 12, 2010 at 1:38 PM

We will be flying into Cancun in January. We need to know the cheapest and safest way to travel from Cancun to Progresso.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: traveling to Progresso

by jeanfinney Online Now Dec 22, 2010 at 6:00 PM

There are direct buses from Cancun to Merida, it takes about four hours. Progreso is less than an hour away, I might be going there myself soon but someone will pick me up. I imagine that there are collective taxis or minivans, it shouldn't be a problem nor should there be a problem with safety.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by dwightbrown Online Now Jan 31, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Don't go. Simple as that. We were robbed of things from our house rental on the beach in early evening. We were out and they found a way in. Everything was locked but they still got in. Our friend were robbed last year from a rental on the beach and we heard someone else was robbed a day after we were robbed. I am sure many more people have been robbed as well.
    We were also hastled by the Federales and were asked for money on the way to a cenote. Friends of ours two different groups were hastled as well and ended up paying 1000 pesos each last week.
    Don't go. Believe me you will be disappointed.

by jeanfinney Online Now Jan 31, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Sorry about that!! I had no problems in the Yucatan, I was just there for a few days passing through - and this time I did not go to Progreso, I went elsewhere - I think beach houses should be well fenced and/or guarded - caretaker around, etc - otherwise if they are isolated I can imagine how they are vulnerable - As for the cenotes story, never heard of such a thing! Actually there are many beautiful things in the Yucatan and in Mexico, maybe you could just fly in there then proceed onwards. Many gringos live in Merida though and if the house is properly secured, should be ok...

• WilliamLawson's Profile Photo

Re: traveling to Progresso

by WilliamLawson Online Now Sep 30, 2011 at 6:10 PM

I doubt very much that this poster was "hastled" (new word) by Federales or would recognize the federal police if he or she saw one. Most of the highways in the Yucatan are patrolled by the state police and they are not given to shaking down tourists. I have lived here for 23 years and am as white as any tourist and have never (not once) been "hastled" or even hassled for that matter.

"Don't go" is dumb advice.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines