Progreso Travel Answers

change location

Beach Activities

by jpaskett Online Now Sep 17, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Are there jet ski rentals and other activities to do in progresso? It's one of my ports on the cruise I'm going on in January...and Carnival doesn't have very many "fun" options for their shore excursions.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Beach Activities

by Odinnthor Online Now Sep 17, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Yes they have jet-ski rentals, scuba and snorkeling as well as other sea sports like windsurfing. A nice trip would be to visit the ancient Mayan City of Dzibilchaltun, about 20 miles away if I remember correctly. Take a look:
    yucatantoday.com/en/topics/d...

All the sea sports should be available shipside, and easy to access, unless things have changed since I was there. Enjoy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Redlats's Profile Photo

by Redlats Online Now Sep 18, 2009 at 2:39 PM

We lived in Progreso for a couple of Februaries. I remember lots of windsurfing, but no jet-skis, scuba or snorkelling. Perhaps that is just because our interests were different. But regarding scuba, your ship will dock about 7 km from shore on a long pier because of the shallow waters near the Yucatan penisula don't allow ships closer. That would imply shallow scuba at best.

Dzibilchaltun is worth the trip if you haven't seen a Mayan ruin yet. There will be taxis that you can hire to take you there (and arrange with them to pick you up in 2 or 3 hours). In January, the beach might be too chilly to swim (it is too chilly for Mexicans to swim anyway). It is fine for Canadians though. Look at the Progreso pages in VT (Progreso Travel Guide. Some of them will be of use to you.

• Re: Beach Activities

by daviro Online Now Aug 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

we are going there as well in january. me and my 3 children all in their 20's. we are looking for something fun to do there. should we "wing it" and hope we find a taxi driver to lead us in the right direction or what? We are a little concerned. I would enjoy a nice beach spot that we could swim, parasail, drink and enjoy our day. if you find anything let me know. thank you
    rose@htc.net

• Redlats's Profile Photo

by Redlats Online Now Aug 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Rose,

I've not seen parasailing. Progreso is too small a town for that -- the cruise traffic does not support it. But the Carnival buses drop you off at a beach (all of Progreso faces the Gulf of Mexico, so beach is easy). There are a number of bars as well and shopping of course. On cruise days, a number of locals bring their wares to terminal, so there are lots of stuff - Mayan clothing, silver jewelry, hammocks, and other local fare (cheap T-shirts too). You only need taxis if you want to go to the Mayan ruin 30 minutes from the dock or if you are visiting someone in Progreso.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines