Progreso Travel Answers

change location

Celestun Biophere Reserve

by lyndat62 Online Now Nov 11, 2008 at 8:19 AM

I am cruising on Carnival & will be in Progreso 12/10/08. How far is this reserve from cruise pier ? What are your recomendations on transportation for this destination ?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Redlats's Profile Photo

Re: Celestun Biophere Reserve

by Redlats Online Now Nov 12, 2008 at 11:30 AM

It is about 2 hours drive plus or minus a half an hour. I don't think there is an easy way to arrange transportation.

If you don't mind hiring a taxi for the day, you could just arrange with one of the drivers a rate to take you there, have him wait for an hour while you go on the boat tour and drive you back to the port. (You also would have time to eat at one of the seafood restaurants in Celestun.)

As it is familiar territory for me, if it were me, I would probably take the public bus into Merida (1 hr), rent a car for a day and drive out to Celestun (1 1/2 hr), go on the tour (1 hr), have lunch (1 1/2 hr), drive back to Merida ( 1 1/2 hr) and take the bus back to Progreso (1 hr). (There don't seem to be any car rental places in Progreso).

I have some Progreso and Celestun tips on my VT pages. Have a great stop on your cruise!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • telchacsusan's Profile Photo

Re: Celestun Biophere Reserve

by telchacsusan Online Now Nov 15, 2008 at 4:45 PM

As you are on a cruise into progreso, time is of the essence. There might be closer options for you than Celestun - what are you looking for? Kayaking, birdwatching, ruins?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines