Progreso Travel Answers

change location

Internet Cafe closest to Uaymitun +other questions!

by mayfirst Online Now Nov 6, 2007 at 7:56 AM

1. We are staying in Uaymitun for January 2008. So far, we do not plan to rent a car as we've heard that public transportation is plentiful and cheap. I'd love suggestions of day trips we could take. I realize that we are staying in a fairly isolated place so I'm interested in other travelers experiences staying in this area. I'm concerned that I may get bored!! I like to do something interesting at least part of every day and not just lay around the pool/beach.

2. I have to keep in fairly regular touch with my family in Canada as I have an elderly somewhat unwell parent. Where is the closest internet cafe? Is there any wireless access in the area at all?

3. Is it easy to find groceries? Would it be difficult to transport a few large shopping bags in the public bus/combi?

Thanks for any and all help!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Redlats's Profile Photo

Re: Internet Cafe closest to Uaymitun +other questions!

by Redlats Online Now Nov 6, 2007 at 8:18 AM

Where is Uaymitun again? We have stayed in Chicxulub - about 3 or 4 km west of Progreso and I could answer questions from that angle, but I cannot remember where Uaymitun is.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Internet Cafe closest to Uaymitun +other questions!

by mayfirst Online Now Nov 6, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Uaymitun is about another 5-10 minutes drive east of Chicxulub.
    Thanks for your input!

• Redlats's Profile Photo

by Redlats Online Now Nov 6, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Sorry, I got my easts and wests mixed up.

I cannot answer your question about local buses as I don't know how far they go. Some of the people we had met needed cars as the local transport did not reach their casas. I have a contact who lives in Chicxulub, so I will ask her and get back to you shortly.

Our casa was between Progreso and Chicxulub, so we had no problems with using local buses. The Chicxulub bus comes by every 10-15 minutes. There is quite a gringo community in the area -- you should have no problem fitting in. We did things like playing organized bridge twice a week, attended woman's club meetings (at least my wife did), volunteered at a local old folks home, took Spanish lessons, attended many "special nights" at local restaurants, etc. There are certain days when the English speakers would eat at various restaurants. Like fish-and-chip Fridays, etc. We also did a lot of unscheduled stuff - like walk beaches, take the local bus into Merida for a day, take the ADO bus further afield, movies in Progreso, play cards with neighbours, had a pot-luck day once a week with neighbours, symphony in Merida, etc.

To visit ruins (especially if there are more than one or two going), it would be best to rent a car for a few days. Renting is a bit of an adventure, but it worked for us when we travelled to visit places like Uxmal or Dzibilchiltun, etc.

We used internet cafes every other day as well to keep contact with our family. There are cafes in Progreso and Chicxulub. I don't know about Uzymitun. I've not heard of wireless there yet. Internet cafes are pretty cheap and fast enough for emailing or checking VT.

We shopped mostly in Progreso, made one major supplies run into Merida. You won't need to shop in Merida at all as there is now a huge Walmart-type grocery store in Progreso now (newly built in 2006).

Have a good time. I will try to find out if the local buses reach Uaymitun and post back on here later this week.

• Gatopardo's Profile Photo

by Gatopardo Online Now Nov 6, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Yeeep, that's correct.
    You might want to try this website, I bet you will find some interesting cool information:

www.meridainsider.com
    www.yucatantoday.com or simply yucatanliving.com

All of them are a very helpful source of information as well.
    Enjoy Uaymitun and and remember that somehow nearby there you will find a birdwatching stop, for watching flamingos, another is more to the east following the carretera, there is an arqueology site, it's Xcambo.

Enjoy the Peninsula!

• telchacsusan's Profile Photo

by telchacsusan Online Now Nov 7, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Taking the public mini-vans and buses into Progreso is very easy. Just head 1 block south from the beach to the coast road and flag one down. Uaymitun is as far as they go. For a few pesos extra the driver will take you right to your door, if your loaded down with groceries. There is plenty of shopping in Progreso and many, many internet cafes. Check out our webpage on Progreso for more information - yucatantoday.com/destination...

• Re: Internet Cafe closest to Uaymitun +other questions!

by mayfirst Online Now Nov 8, 2007 at 5:49 AM

Thank you all so much for your help! Looking forward to it!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines