Progreso Travel Answers

change location
New-to-Yucatan's Profile Photo

First Trip to Yucatan

by New-to-Yucatan Online Now Feb 2, 2005 at 5:19 PM

I visited a web site with properties for sale in the Chicxulub/Progreso area and fell in love with the water, laid back atmosphere, etc. My husband and I are planning a trip to this area at the end of May 2005 to scout the area and see some properties. Do you know anyone else that have made that move? We live in Florida and are tired of the rat race and stress. Are we crazy for wanting to do that? I'm not sure if we can obtain a visa to be able to live permanently in Mexico - we do not plan on working. I will contact the Embasy/Consulate in Miami for more info on this subject. Will it be cheaper to buy a car locally or ship our own; any info along these lines about living there full time will be greatly appreciated.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • MonoBichi's Profile Photo

Re: First Trip to Yucatan

by MonoBichi Online Now Feb 2, 2005 at 6:27 PM

The consulate can tell you what you need to know. If you can show income of around1500 a month and therefore not need to work you can get an FM-3 from the consulate that is essentially a resident alien card good for a year, renewable. Check out the recent laws on the subject, but you might be better off driving a used car down, then selling it in Mexico later. I would wan you about the summer weather, but you're from Florida (it's hotter and stickier in Progresso) But above all....VISIT FIRST! Stay ther as much time as you can. Then decide. Live a full year round anywhere before buying a home. Study Spanish before moving, and keep at it afterwards.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gomexico's Profile Photo

Moving to the Yucatan

by gomexico Online Now Feb 4, 2005 at 1:05 PM

You're doing the right thing by making a "familiarization" trip to the area. However, I think it makes more sense for you to concentrate on renting an apartment/house for 6 months to a year before deciding on which property to buy, and where. During that initial living-in-Mexico period you'll learn whether you really want to live in the area and which area(s) might better meet your needs/wants. Rolly Brook is an American who has relocated to the northern part of Mexico and he's built himself a wonderfully helpful webpage that he graciously shares with people interested in Mexico - and moving to Mexico (the subject applies no matter where you may wish to move in the country). If you follow this link you will, likely, read answers to many of your questions: rollybrook.com/how_to_move_t... Regarding household possessions: leave all but the most important keepsakes at home, bringing all that stuff with you will be more trouble (and cost more) than it's worth. About the vehicle: you can bring yours, but make certain it's a make/model that parts are readily available for in the area you eventually settle in. Best of luck with your adventure!

• gomexico's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to the Yucatan

by gomexico Online Now Feb 4, 2005 at 1:09 PM

I wanted to add something that MonoBichi touched upon: learning Spanish before relocating. No one thing you can do to prepare for relocation to Mexico will be of more help to you or contribute greater to your adjustment will be more important than learning a fair amount of Spanish. Good Spanish-language immersion courses are taught in San Miguel de Allende and Cuernavaca, and I recommend that you spend 1-2 months in intensive study before relocating. You can, also, do some advance preparation for the intensive courses by studying at a community college close to your home. Of course, if you've already had some training in Spanish-language, you could adjust, downward, the time you'd be spending in an immersion course.

• Re: First Trip to Yucatan

by Brianwilly Online Now Feb 20, 2005 at 9:08 AM

First thing to do is contact Marion and Peter at Casa Isidora in Porgreso. They moved there 5 years ago fro USA and canada. They have done it themselves. very helpful and HONEST. Contact them at www.casaisidora.com Good luck

• Re: First Trip to Yucatan

by Brianwilly Online Now Feb 20, 2005 at 9:10 AM

Most important thing to do is contact Peter and Marion at Casa isidora.www.casaisidora.com They moved there 5 years ago . She is Canadian.he is American. They know teh lay of the land and can help you. They are completely honest. They also run the Spanish schoolmfor foreigners in Progreso.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines