Prince Rupert Travel Answers

change location
CdnJane's Profile Photo

Grizzly Bear Tours

by CdnJane Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Is anyone aware of any companies offering 1 day trips to the Grizzly Bear Sanctuary in late September? I know it is not an optimal time of the year, but that is when we'll be in that area next year. The companies I've looked at Palmerville and Seashore Charters seem to stop doing Grizzly Bear tours at the end of August. We're using the Alaska Ferry to come into Prince Rupert, and seem to be after the majority of cruise ships, so after the main tourist season. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Grizzly Bear Tours

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I suspect you are out of luck. I don't believe any of the operators are allowed in past August. This was certainly the case when we were there (at that time there were only two operators with permits) and they had 6 - 8 week windows. From what Dan Wakeman told us (Sundancer Charters) BC Parks did not want anyone disturbing the bears when they were feeding to prepare for hibranation later in the season.

Might check the operators listed here:

env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor...

There were no one day trips offered into the Sanctuary itself when we were there last summer and the daytrips were allowed to enter the park no further than the ranger station, so seeing the bears was hit and miss with those operators.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • CdnJane's Profile Photo

Re: Grizzly Bear Tours

by CdnJane Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM

That's what I was thinking. Oh well.... maybe Mother Nature will be kind and allow us the chance to see some bears along our routes the way wild nature should be seen - wild and random sightings! Thank you for the link. I appreciate your information. And your photos from the sanctuary were amazing - what an opportunity you had!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines