Prince Edward Island Travel Answers

change location
Hcamper's Profile Photo

Bike Touring on PEI Mid June 2013

by Hcamper Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I am planning on cycle touring trip (mix of camping and hotels) for mid June. I have been hearing not all attractions/restaurants/etc are open then. Is that correct ? Also, any suggestions whether we head to West side or east? I know we can't do all. We plan on riding 5 or 6 days, 40-50 miles/day (to allow sightseeing). I have info on the Confederation Trail and we might use that for some riding but like the coastal areas.

We could go later in summer, my reasoning for June was to avoid some of the crowds and issues with trying to find accommodations.

We would be arriving via car and leaving car near Gateway village.
Any challenges with wind ? or possibly best bet for riding?

any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated! thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RACCOON1's Profile Photo

Re: Bike Touring on PEI Mid June 2013

by RACCOON1 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 7:09 AM

PEI opens for business on July 1.
    Not everything is open before July 1, so plan accordingly.
    Never done biking on PEI but would suggest taking Confederation trail east until if gets close to the north coast around Morell and then follow the coast westward through the National Park and get back on the CT around Kensington.
    You could also go east to Souris and vicinity and then back.
    We have never been to the west end of the island.
    Nice looking bike.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • 1jabbar's Profile Photo

Re: Bike Touring on PEI Mid June 2013

by 1jabbar Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM

The June idea is reasonable. However if you are too early in June, the nights can still be cold, and daytime temps. not very warm. If you are camping, I wouldn't think the crowds would be too bad in July/August (not certain). The Cavendish, Stanhope, Dalvay, N. Rustico, flat coastal highway, is heaven on nice days. Charlottetown (.45 min. auto to Canvendish) is very pretty in the summer, and there is a good deal to see there. I wish I knew about the world of bikes but can't say much, so will stop. I'll think you'll love PEI. (in the summer!)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Prince Edward Island Travel Answer Locations