Prefecture of Rethymno Travel Answers

change location
Elenitsa's Profile Photo

Mirthios above Plakias...

by Elenitsa Online Now Apr 21, 2005 at 1:06 PM

Has anyone been/stayed here. Considering it as a 3-5 night base in 2006 for 4 experienced traveller adults and an 11 year old...

Thinking of moving on to Frangokastello (for snorkelling for the children among us) and Hora Sfakion (cos we like it!)

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Spincat's Profile Photo

RE: Mirthios above Plakias...

by Spincat Online Now Apr 22, 2005 at 3:53 AM

I know this area a little bit as it is very near my favourite area of Rodakino and we drove through en route to Rodakino last May. It is a very lovely, quiet area - I didn't see much of Mirthios itself but i thought the nearby Selia was a really great little place. The views and countryside are really wonderful there. You've probably seen this website (belwo) knowing you, Elenitsa, but
    peter-thomson.co.uk/crete/Wh...

is a good site for region with info on tracks and walking.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Elenitsa's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Mirthios above Plakias...

by Elenitsa Online Now Apr 22, 2005 at 9:44 AM

Thanks!! I hadn't found that link (yet!). The area really does look lovely, I've always bypassed it on my way to Sfakia.

• Spincat's Profile Photo

by Spincat Online Now Apr 22, 2005 at 10:07 AM

I actually thought the area above Plakias was nicer than Plakias itself - the general area is just fantastic. Are you planning another trip to Crete this year after all?

• Elenitsa's Profile Photo

by Elenitsa Online Now Apr 22, 2005 at 10:11 AM

Fraid not - all the holidays and money are used up!! This is for next year and as our friends haven't been to Crete before, somewhere new (and stunning) was called for!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

RE: Mirthios above Plakias...

by nickandchris Online Now Apr 23, 2005 at 9:11 AM

We stayed in Plakias many years ago and we enjoyed stopping off for a drink in Mirthios,looking down to Plakias. The views are stunning and the area well worth a visit/stay. I remember a rustic youth hostel here, I think. Lots of beach possibilities and lots of scenery.
    Trouble with Crete is somebody has always discovered that "off the beaten track" beach before you!!
    Happy travels.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Prefecture of Rethymno Travel Answer Locations