Prefecture of Rethymno Travel Answers

change location
zontania's Profile Photo

Elafonissos

by zontania Online Now May 19, 2003 at 11:33 AM

How long would it take to drive from Chania to Elafonissos? From past experience on Crete, I've learned never to try and figure distances based on klms. Last time I drove the dirt road to Preveli beach... only six km which took about 2 hours and it was such a disappointment to find out at the end of the road that I still had to climb the mountain to get over the other side (which I didn't) or pay the ferryman a handsome sum to take me there (which I also didn't as I hadn't thought to bring enough money with me...) Is Elafonissos worth the trip? Any other must see places en route? Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Elenitsa's Profile Photo

Re: Elafonissos

by Elenitsa Online Now May 21, 2004 at 6:36 AM

Never driven it but they reckon the bus only takes a couple of hours so,...allow 3 and that should be about right. Definately is worth it - but go early (before 10am) or late (after 4pm) as these times are when all the buses and the boat from Paleohora arrive/depart. If you are going to be there between 10 and 4 head away from the main beach (probably best to head left as you're facing the sea) and you'll get away from the worst of the crowds, but still be able to enjoy the glorious sea and pink sand. I'll try and post a photo on my site.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • zontania's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Elafonissos

by zontania Online Now May 25, 2004 at 5:16 AM

Thank you Elenitsa, let me know when the photo is up! :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Prefecture of Rethymno Travel Answer Locations