Prefecture of Chania Travel Answers

change location
tayacook's Profile Photo

Travel during busy time...

by tayacook Online Now Jun 23, 2006 at 3:58 AM

My 14yo son & I will be travelling to Greece from the US the first 2 wks of August. I know this is busy time. We will fly directly into Athens. I am trying to decide if we should then take a flight into Chania, or should we ferry? Your thoughts?? Same thing for the return. My father lives in Chania & we will probably stay w/him the majority of the time. However, since this is probably a once-in-a-lifetime trip, should I plan to do one or 2 overnites elsewhere? Was planning to head back to Athens 1 or 2 days prior to our return flight to check sites there. Any thoughts/tips are greatly appreciated! Also tips on what to pack.... ~ Taya

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Elena_blue's Profile Photo

RE: Travel during busy time...

by Elena_blue Online Now Jun 23, 2006 at 4:36 AM

In August all Greece has temperatures above 30oC day around and all the routes lead to the the beach, so pack accordingly. The only reason to choose ferry is because it is cheaper than airplane (a return ticket will be about 100euros cheaper perperson). Keep in mind that Ferries depart every day at 2100 and arrive next morning. In August maybe a day route. Transportation from airport to port is by bus service and taxi, about 1 hour with the traffic. I reccomend by airplane with a good connection with your incoming/outgoing flights.
    Depending on your interests you can combine with 1-2 days to Athens and while in Crete spend time around and visit Knosssos, a minoan civilization archeological site.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vulpes's Profile Photo

RE: Travel during busy time...

by vulpes Online Now Jul 3, 2006 at 11:58 PM

I fully agree with Elena except..Knossos..!Well,ok,is one of the major Greek archeological sites but I think that u ll spend your precious time on checkin out some ancient rocks instead of enjoying the sea with your family,sea that you dont have the opportunity to ''taste'' in the place that u live..As for the transportation,make the whole book with airplane.No worth at all to experience all the mess of trying to catch the ferry.U ll ruin your mood..;)And stay in Crete as much as u can.Athens by that time is similar to hell!! (30o C is on suburbs..!!)

Welcome and enjoy your stay!=)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Prefecture of Chania Travel Answer Locations