Prefecture of Attica Travel Answers

change location

Parking!

by markokne Online Now Jul 18, 2007 at 5:07 AM

Hello there

I'm goinf to Ios, and I'm coming to Athens by car.
I ittend to leave the car in Athens during my stay on the island.

Where would be the safest spot? Is there some garage parking in the city in which I could leave the car, and pay it?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Parking!

by CHRISSISTAH28 Online Now Jul 19, 2007 at 5:24 AM

Coming to Athens with your car i think is not such a good idea because the traffic is impossible and the drivers are very aggresive and impatient.If you cant do otherwise You will find millions of Parking spots in Athens and in Peiraius Port also..A safe area in Athens may be Neos Kosmos where you can also take the metro station to go anywher..If you have other questions i will be happy to answer..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • janetanne's Profile Photo

Re: Parking!

by janetanne Online Now Jul 20, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Where are you coming from? What license plates does your car have? ARe they Greek or foreign. How long will you be away from Athens? All the answers to these questions may make a difference as to where you should or may leave your car safely. Also, how much luggage are you travelling with?

Actually, you could theoretically park just about anywhere, on any neighborhood street, and then either take the Metro, if you have parked near a Metro station, or take a taxi to the port of Pireaus.

Since I live in Athens, I always take a taxi to the port. I live in the southern most suburb of Vouliagmeni and a taxi to the port where the boat leaves for Ios costs me 20Euros exactly from my house...

If you are coming into Athens from the Attiki Odos, you could also park your car in the long term parking lot of the airport if you don't mind paying and then the train from there to Pireaus. Still, I think parking somewhere, such as on a Glyfada side-street, and then a taxi, makes the best sense to me.

Where you leave your car is rather arbitrary...almost any place in the suburbs is fairly safe.

Parking in the port area, however, can be a bit risky and nerve racking. Not everywhere is safe, especially from the police. You may park inadvertently in a no-parking zone, only to return from your vacation to find no plates on your car! Then you will be in a real mess trying to get them back plus paying a huge fine. So, again, park in a friendly neighborhood and go the rest of the way by a nice taxi.

You can order a taxi to pick you up almost anywhere in the southern suburbs from Radio Taxi Glyfada: 210 960 5600. I even called them from the Flying Cat 2, on my way back from Hydra and they had a nice airconditioned taxi waiting for me at the port when the boat arrived! Ordering a taxi from a Radio Taxi company guarantees that the driver will be polite and will not stop to pick up other passangers. You will pay a slightly larger amount for calling the taxi, but believe me it is worth it, especially when you are on holiday and it is a hot day and you have heavy suitcases.

I hope this has been of some help. Now, let's see some information on your hp and some tips plus photos of your upcoming trips.

Regards from Athens,

Janet

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Prefecture of Attica Travel Answer Locations