Praia da Rocha Travel Answers

change location

cruise help

by ExcitedTraveler Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 5:04 AM

I have just discovered your site by accident while searching for info on Villefranche, I wonder if anybody out there can help me, I will be cruising in the Med this summer and having cruised the med twice before do not want to go on organised excursions in all the ports. one being Praia da rocha, I cannot find any info on where the cruise ship anchors, or if there is any local transports to nearby towns, as all I can seem to pick up is that praia is mainly beach which I don't really want, I would be most gratefull for any ideas. Also on the same trip any info about Cititavecchia, as I do not really want to go into rome (having been there three times) and cannot seem to find any info on the surrounding area. Thank-you

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • MFAMILY's Profile Photo

RE: cruise help

by MFAMILY Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 8:23 AM

If I undertand well, you will be cruising the mediterranean, touching France and Italy. Is this cruise also coming to atlantic waters, to Portugal?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

RE: RE: cruise help

by MFAMILY Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 8:26 AM

There is actually no dock for large ships in Praia da Rocha or the whole of Algarve, for that matter. The only way is to stay off the coast and come ashore on small boats.

• RE: RE: cruise help

by ExcitedTraveler Online Now Jun 9, 2006 at 7:38 AM

Thanks for your help, yes, cruise from Southampton into the Med, Brochure blumf does say we will be landing by tender in Praia da Rocha, but from what I have seen online, it seems that the town is on the top of a cliff, is this right?. Do you know if it is a long walk to the town.

• Durfun's Profile Photo

by Durfun Online Now Jun 9, 2006 at 7:57 AM

Praia da Rocha is the nicest beach near Portimao (itself not being a beach at all!!). You will see lots of boats in Portimao, however, as you would around Lagos. I see no problem is dropping anchor here somewhere (?).

by MFAMILY Online Now Jun 9, 2006 at 8:31 AM

Hi
    Sorry, I didn´t understand you where leaving on the cruise out of UK. Ok.
    As said, Praia da Rocha is a town itself, where you can easily stroll around. There are frequent buses going on to nearby towns. If History interests you, get on to Silves and learn a bit about the moorish occupation of the Algarve. It´s rather interesting.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Praia da Rocha