Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• how many toll booths between lisbon and fatima

by AloysiousA Online Now Mar 29, 2014 at 8:12 AM

how many toll booths between lisbon and fatima

2 Answers Mar 29, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    • Residential or pensoes in alfama area

by montanamber Online Now Mar 26, 2014 at 7:53 AM

We want an inexpensive clean and safe place near ave. liberdade. We want to come in for diande cameos e das. We can wander and partake and also rest so we can continue again. Any suggestions

5 Answers Mar 26, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    • Fairs and festivals for May and june

by montanamber Online Now Mar 25, 2014 at 2:27 AM

My husband and I love festivals and fairs that show local culture, food, music, etc. we have been alte in southern Portugal and loved it. Any ideas for 2014 May and june?

3 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    • songlines's Profile Photo

Alpedrinha area

by songlines Online Now Mar 16, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Planning to go to Alpedrinha or surrounding area with my partner for one month (April) and hoping to rent a house or flat for that time. Any idea/websites/ or advice?
      Many thanks
      Agnes

3 Answers Apr 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    • where to pick up rental car

by llijo Online Now Mar 15, 2014 at 4:26 AM

We are staying in an apartment in Lisbon for a week (Barrio Alto) and then heading touring for 3 weeks . Can someone tell us which would be better, picking up rental from Santa Apollonia Railway Station or the airport to have EASIEST drive out of Lisbon to Alentejo - we have not driven in Europe before! Thanks

3 Answers Mar 15, 2014 at 1:52 PM
    • auto rental type

by ramses25 Online Now Feb 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I want to visit the atlantic (western side) of Portugal. I want to hike down to the beaches there. Do I need a 4 wheel vehicle to do this. Don't want to walk miles and miles to get to the edge of the cliffs.

4 Answers Feb 25, 2014 at 3:34 AM
    • 11 days in Portugal

by wanderlust000 Online Now Feb 17, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Hi! Will be spending 11 days in Portugal in March and would like to know if the following itinerary is doable and which are the must-see cities that shouldn't be missed out!

12th - Lisbon to Coimbra/Obidos - Is it possible to go both in a day or just 1?
      13th/14th - Porto - Is there enough time to go Duoro Valley or is it ok to just stay in Porto?
      15th/16th/17th - Lagos
      18th - Evora
      19th- 22nd - Lisbon

Thanks! :)

10 Answers Feb 19, 2014 at 11:55 AM
    • what pubs are open

by david140683 Online Now Feb 14, 2014 at 7:50 PM

any one know what pubs will be open in portugal in march please

4 Answers Feb 14, 2014 at 11:25 PM
    • Electronic toll cards

by Anniewel Online Now Jan 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I have read that tolls on the major roads are collected at electronic toll stands for which one needs an electronic toll card. Where are these cards purchased? They must have an amount prepaid on them. Where does one load more money if needed.

5 Answers Jan 9, 2014 at 2:47 AM
    • jestevens's Profile Photo

12 nights in Portugal, need help with itinerary please:)

by jestevens Online Now Nov 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Hello my husband and I are going to Portugal for 11 days/12 nights next Fall for the first time. We love hiking, little old villages, castles, beautiful coastline and meeting the locals. We prefer historical sites that are outdoors to museums and dining al fresco at little family run places to fancy restaurants and prefer a small place with live local music to the Dance/Club scene. We will rent a car once we leave Lisbon and will split our stays between guest houses and pousadas and/or apartments. We hope to spend under $150/night for accommodation but will spurge on a pousada. We are going to forgo the Algarve and Alentejo on this trip so we can focus in on the areas between Lisbon, Porto and the Douro Valley. Here are my initial thoughts on itinerary and I would appreciate any suggestions on towns and accommodations and timing of our stays (such as spend more time here and less time there):
      Nights 1,2 -- Lisbon, arrive late in pm; see Lisbon sites
      Nights 3, 4, 5 - Stay in one of these towns to see all (we will have car) Sintra, Cascais & Estoril
      Night 6 -- Obidos or Nazare to explore these towns and coastline
      Nights 7, 8 - Porto or Vila Nova de Gaia to explore these towns
      Nights 9, 10, 11 - Peso da Regua or some other town along Douro river so we can hike, kayak, wine taste and explore little villages from a riverside base
      Night 12 - Lisbon (very early flight in am)
      Thank you:)
      Jennifer from California

13 Answers Dec 2, 2013 at 3:58 AM
    • ricky52's Profile Photo

What to see and do.

by ricky52 Online Now Sep 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM

We are going to be based in Potamao and will have a car for the two weeks that we are there.
      We do not sit on the beach or around the pool and we like to get out and about and see and do things.
      We plan a trip to Seville
      What little gems do you recommend?
      I have searched the travel forum and I have got a few ideas but insider knowledge is always better I feel.
      Plus if any VT member is up for a drink or a meal, that could be arranged too.
      Thank you.

18 Answers Oct 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    • anonxxx's Profile Photo

suggested itineraries

by anonxxx Online Now Sep 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM

hello ,
      I go for 3 weeks to Portugal, beginning and ending in Lisbon; I want to travel by public transport; anybody can suggest me an itinerary? I am interested mainly in culture (no beaches)

warm regards, Joan

4 Answers Sep 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
    • kindwords80's Profile Photo

I need visit visa of Portugal , anyone can help me to get it pls

by kindwords80 Online Now Sep 7, 2013 at 3:27 AM

I need visit visa of Portugal , anyone can help me to get it pls

6 Answers Sep 7, 2013 at 4:26 AM
    • AnneS56's Profile Photo

Buying Dinnerware

by AnneS56 Online Now Sep 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I want to buy service for 12 while in Portugal. What can I expect to pay and where is the best place to buy?

1 Answer Sep 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    • Border crossing to Spain

by ontariokaren Online Now Aug 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM

After we spend a week or so between Lisbon, Coimbra, Gaurda, then south towards Evora/Beja, we will head to Spain for a couple of weeks, before returning to Portugal for the final week, visiting the south coast, the Algarve area, and the east coast. We will have a car. My question is....where would you suggest we cross...Badajoz, or Vila Verde de Filcalho; with respect to what we can see and do on the way to either place,.....we prefer scenery, architecture, small town experiences/food, to big cities and cathedrals/monuments/history. Will we be presenting our passports at the border? Thank you!

2 Answers Aug 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    • Thefts from rental cars?

by ontariokaren Online Now Aug 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I am reading and hearing horror stories, about rental cars being broken into. Once very recent account was 4 cars broken into, in a parking lot, near a popular tourist attraction (castle) at Marvao. EVERYTHING, all luggage, etc was stolen. Is this happening very often, and does anyone know what to do to prevent it?? Naturally we will have our luggage out of sight, but so did the others who had the break-in. thanks

12 Answers Aug 19, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    • diana_renou's Profile Photo

Town base to visit Obidos, Alcobaha and Batalla?

by diana_renou Online Now Aug 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Hi everybody!! It is a good idea to stay in Nazaré in order to visit Obidos, Alcobaha and Batalla? Another idea? how many days to spend there? Thanks a lot for your help!!

6 Answers Aug 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM
    • diana_renou's Profile Photo

13 days in Porgugal

by diana_renou Online Now Aug 15, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Hi everybody!! I am planning a trip to Portugal next June 2014. I could spend 13 days there by public transportation (I dont like to rent a car because I am a woman traveling alone and dont feel safe) What do you think is better?
      1) To spend 5 days in Oporto as a base to visit Guimaraes, Braga, etc??...
      2) 4 days in Coimbra (go to Alcobaha, Obidos, Nazare and Tomar from there)
      3) 5 days in Lisbon (go to Sintra, Cascais, Estoril, Cabo da Roca.)
      Does anybody have a better itinerary? Should I visit Algarve zone?
      Thanks a lot for any advice!!!

5 Answers Aug 16, 2013 at 1:24 AM
    • Websites for accommodation in rural areas?

by ontariokaren Online Now Aug 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Looking for recommended websites for searching for accommodation in rural areas, of the Alentejo area, and ALSO, for 'guest houses' (pensao) and (residenciais) for Alentejo towns, on the coast and inland. Unfortunately, I need them to be in English! Some websites only show 'hotels', and I understand that turismos have lists of accommodation, but overlook anywhere not listed with them. Looking to pay between 50 - 80 euro for a double, with private bathroom, (early to mid Sept) Thanks!

5 Answers Aug 13, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    • Farm land and fishing villages

by ontariokaren Online Now Aug 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

What area, in the Alentejo Region, would be good to see farm land, either crops or livestock, or both?? What area is best for a 'fishing village', being able to see the 'catch of the day'?? What is the pronunciation of Alentejo.....? Al-en-tay-ho??? Thanks in advance!

6 Answers Aug 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    • recommended driving itinerary in the Alentejo Region

by ontariokaren Online Now Aug 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM

After spending a couple of days in the Lisbon/Sintra/Cascais area, it appears that we will do a 'loop' in parts of the Alentego Region. Does something like this sound practical - head north up the coast visiting in Peniche, Obidos, Nazare; on towards Lavos, head east towards Coimbra, n/e to Guarda; south to Covilha, Castelo Branco, Nisa, Portalegre, Estremoz, Evora, Beja, east towards Serpa, and then head for Spain?? We'd like to do that or something similar in 5-6 days, is it practical? We don't want to visit a lot of historical buildings/churches, but are more interested in the scenery, villages, small towns, agriculture, food. Recommendations on small towns (and accommo in small hotels/pensions) between the above towns would be welcome. After touring "wherever" in Spain, on our return journey to Lisbon to fly home, would then visit the Algarve area, for the last week in Sept. This is similar, in reverse to BwanaBrown's trip, thanks Glenn!

4 Answers Aug 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    • using gps

by ontariokaren Online Now Jul 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM

If you speak English, and have used a gps in Portugal....is it fairly easy to understand? Are the roads, avenues, streets well marked on the streets?? (we had a bit of a bad experience in Italy a few years ago) Thank you!

12 Answers Jul 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    • ricky52's Profile Photo

Mozzies

by ricky52 Online Now Jul 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I suffer very badly if bitten by the little buggers. We are going in October and will be based in the Algarve but we shall have a car and will be travelling all over Portugal and into Spain as well. Am I likely to have problems with the local mozzies?

15 Answers Jul 21, 2013 at 5:22 AM
    • tropical459's Profile Photo

Transfers to Hotel from Faro airport.

by tropical459 Online Now Jul 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

We are thinking of booking the Belavista da Luz in Portugal.  How would we arrange transfers to the hotel from the airport?  I think it is two hours away.  Would that be very costly?  We don't want to hire a car.  We wouldn't be at the airport until 2100 hours.  Can anyone give some advice please.  There will be three of us two adults and a two year old chlld.

Thank you

Vicki

5 Answers Dec 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    • ACUTE HELP TO BOOKING

by JSTHESMALLONE Online Now Jun 18, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Hello Virtualtourist.com

My name is Jakob.

A few weeks ago my mother ordered tickets for Lissabon from Expedia.dk. Now that we have opend the tickets we can see that there are missinc one ticket, my ticket! And since I am under 18 I cannot order a ticket for my self. What do I do? I need to go on the same plane, but can i order tickets from another side that allow me to order tickets?

Br. Jakob Jørgensen, Denmark

6 Answers Jun 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    • AlohaLinda's Profile Photo

Best places to stay in Porto?

by AlohaLinda Online Now Jun 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM

In your opinion what is the best place to be, in order to walk and be near restaurants, night life and public transportation?

3 Answers Jul 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM
    • Freshwater and hotspring holiday

by virtualMia Online Now Jun 6, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I'm planning a holiday to Portugal. I would like to get suggestions about beautiful hotspring spots and riverside places where to enjoy fresh water, ponds and waterfalls away from noisy crowded places. Thank you very much. Most welcomed suggestions in Italian, Spanish,Portuguese and English. Thank you
      Mia

4 Answers Jun 8, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Lisbon (Center)

by AlohaLinda Online Now Jun 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Hey VT members! In your opinion what is the best neighborhood to stay in?

2 Answers Jun 6, 2013 at 4:05 AM

High Season?

by AlohaLinda Online Now May 29, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Is September high season in Portugal for booking hotels? After I leave Lisbon I want to wing my hotel accommodations? Reading forums, looks like Lisbon and Porto are the two cities that I might want to have reservations in advance? Thanks again for everyones advise!
      Much appreciated, L

5 Answers Jun 6, 2013 at 4:11 AM
    • giuguar's Profile Photo

12 days in portugal

by giuguar Online Now May 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Hi all guys,
      I'm planning a 12 days stay in portugal in june. Never been there before. I have few questions if anybody can help.
      1. Better flying to Porto or Lisbon? (I noticed there's not much difference in price from my home airport)
      2. suggestion how to split days for visiting Porto, Lisbon, other places in portugal?
      3. what else other than porto and lisbon? other interesting places that worths the visit?
      4. Car hire: is it easy to find local car hire once in portugal or is it better to book in advance from AVIS/Hertz etc.?
      5. suggestions for cheap but decent hotels? We're not a 5-stars-suite guys but don't want to find bad surprises if the hotel is too cheap...
      6. what about the weather in june? warm? mild? rainy? short or long trousers? should we put a fleece and a wind jacket in the luggage just in case?
      7. any other suggestion? feel free to give your input please!

Thanks for your help

Giulio

23 Answers Jun 6, 2013 at 4:11 AM