Portugal Travel Answers

change location
styxgirl's Profile Photo

in one day

by styxgirl Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM

is it possible to see obidos,batalha,fatima and arriving in tomar(to spend the night). i will be relying on bus/train transportation

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: in one day

by gwened Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

never done in public transport but it seems a lot in one day. Rather soak the experience fully than just say I was here, my opinion.
    cheers

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

If you mean to cover all four places in one day, yes, it is possible but this itenerary would be one speeded up viewing, a highly rushed job you'd have no minute to spare to slow down and really take in the local qualities and flavors that tend to make their true mark for an everlasting travel experience. However, if your intention for this trip is to cover only the basics and an overview at first, then what you'd gain from first impressions would hopefully serve well for much more on a return trip at some point.

2 members found this helpful

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Buses are very sparse in this area especially getting across to Tomar. The local bus website is www.rodotejo.pt it is only in Portuguese and has neither map nor list of routes. I agree to try to visit all three locations in one day by bus and then travel to Tomar is very difficult on a weekday and pretty well impossible on a Saturday or Sunday.

Tomar has afternoon buses from Fátima at 1504 on weekdays and 1834  at weekends, 1844 on weekdays.

Batalha has no railway station, the station called Fátima is 20km from the town so you will be relying on buses.

Good luck.

• windpaard's Profile Photo

by windpaard Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM

if you are two of three persons you can do some trajects with the taxi,because the taxi's are relatively cheap and de busses relatively expensive

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Please be aware that the bus stations do not take credit cards, you will need cash for your tickets.

• Torgut's Profile Photo

by Torgut Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM

As a general rule, public transportation in Portugal - outside the main cities - is scarce and expensive. Don't count with such an ambitious plan. I would rather rent a car for a day, specially if out of season, as it's cheap (and obviously allows you this kind of tours).

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Torgut wrote:
    As a general rule, public transportation in Portugal - outside the main cities - is scarce and expensive. Don't count with such an ambitious plan. I would rather rent a car for a day, specially if out of season, as it's cheap (and obviously allows you this kind of tours).

Public transport in Portugal overall is cheap, NOT expensive.   Buses especially and even for trains the fares are generally reasonable above all if one takes advantage of the Intercidades rather than the Alfa Pendular express...and even the Alfa is well within the reasonable rate.  I know this cause I live partime in Portugal and in a small village in the hinterlands where the only access to the main towns and cities  outside of one's own transport or car hire would be either by  bus or railway when it is available.

The rationale here for maybe skipping public transport to accomplish the itenerary you planned is clearly due to time factor for which obviously  you're not able to set aside much.  That said, fulfilling your wish to see and visit all the places you want within the time frame you envisioned would make it definitely practical to either rent a car or get on with the taxi.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Torgut's Profile Photo

by Torgut Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Public transportation in Portugal is expensive, NOT cheap. When it's cheaper to fly with Ryanair from one end of the country to the other and back, than taking ground transportation for a 200 km segment, I call it expensive. When it's cheaper to fly from Amsterdam to Istanbul than to take a train from Faro to Lisbon, I call it expensive. When a ticket for a 20 km run costs 4 Eur, I call it expensive too. Cheap I call to a 600 km train ticket for 8 Eur (Sevastopol-Odessa, including sleeping service); for a 600 km train ride in Portugal I would pay... hummmm.....around 55 Eur. That's sevenfold. I know all this because I live in Portugal since ever (that's in the last 48 years) and I've been traveling in all single country of Europe but four, so I can compare. Oh... and I could bet that renting a car and paying for the gast, as long as it's out of season, will be cheaper than public transportation for two persons. That, I call it expensive too. :-)

So, let's do it like this: you can call "overall cheap" to all of this, I will call it "overall expensive" and let the reader decide.

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I think you're comparing apples to oranges here. The original poster is mainly concern about getting to those above mentioned places within a day's time frame and visiting them all the most reasonable way in terms of expense. That leaves public transport and/or car hire or taxi as the only option. All these will come with much clarity within her given choices once she arrives in Portugal. And with the certainlty arrived at, she will be by then know whether
    the fares in Portugal to her is expensive or not.

by Dymphna1 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I think that is a matter of perspective. It was 23€ to go between Lisbon and Fatima.

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Peanuts Lee Ann.

by Dymphna1 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I thought it was reasonable.

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Dymphna1 wrote:
    I thought it was reasonable.

I certainly think so myself.  Imagine for that same distance here to be covered by train, it costs nowadays about $100 with Amtrak!

by Dymphna1 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM

SOLODANCER wrote:

NYC to Albany is either $35 or $78 depending upon which train you take.

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Dymphna1 wrote:

NYC to Albany is either $35 or $78 depending upon which train you take.

That's why train travel in Portugal and for most of Europe is such ease on all counts.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM

The one way bus fare from Lisbon to Fátima is €11,50 not 23.

Public transport fares here have suffered massive increases in the past two years especially on the railways and the urban systems around Lisbon and Porto. Some local areas have seen bus service reduced by 50%. That's because of the government's austerity financial policies. Portugal has one of the hghest rates of car ownership in Europe so most households are not affected.

If you are travelling alone between the bigger cities, the cost of travel by train or bus is about the same as the highway tolls and only a little slower.

However, for people coming from countries where ticket prices can be high, eg the UK, public transport here can seem cheap. For many Portuguese it is not cheap. Salaries and wages here are a lot less than in most of Northern Europe especially.

• styxgirl's Profile Photo

by styxgirl Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM

thanks to all for your help.I think that when I get there to Portugal it will be easier to decide.Some places might be closer than I thought or too out of the way. I have been working on this plan for awhile and I must admit my vacation isn't for awhile but I wanted to get a base for my travels.

I have come up with this so far....I will stay in sintra for 3 nights,seeing the palaces around the area and some of the beach towns,queluz and mafra. From there it will be off to Lisbon for 4 nights.Tour the city, sights and neighborhoods for 2 days, go to tomar then to evora.
    The following week I will be in a timeshare near Marabella ,Spain and go to several cities around there,,,,seville,granada and would like to go to tangier for the day.I am giving this to myself for my 50th birthday and can't wait to celebrate in portugal and spain

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Portugal Travel Answer Locations