Portugal Travel Answers

change location
styxgirl's Profile Photo

what to do on monday

by styxgirl Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM

what is there to do on a monday in lisbon?aren't all the museums, palaces and monasteries closed?

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: what to do on monday

by riorich55 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Wait until Tuesday? Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I'm sure you will get a real answer soon.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by riorich55 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM

iportugaltravel.com/lisbon-t...

From a Google Search. Some look like they are open on Monday.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by riorich55 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM

And here is a Wikipedia answer about a Palace.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajuda_...

Be the first to rate this answer!

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Lisbon has some nice parks, lovely look out places, some up the top of elevators, some on hills. Take a tram ride through the old town. Go to Belem and try the famous custard tarts. Wander around looking at the squares and picturesque streets. Lisbon is a city ideal just for walking around, no need to always go in something.

2 members found this helpful

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM

As above.

Lisbon is very walkable indeed and is stuffed with history. So just walk around, explore the elevadores and the architecture, take tram 28 from end to end (rattling through the old streets), visit the Se (which also has Roman excavations on show). And then, yes...take tram 15 from Cais do Sodre out to Belem, eat some of those wonderful pastries at

http://www.pasteisdebelem.pt/

and walk them off along the riverside or in the botanical gardens.

Loads to see and do even if some sights/sites are closed. :-)

• Ines_'s Profile Photo

by Ines_ Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM

St Jorge's Castle is open every day. So you may take that day to see it and the hills around where you'll find the oldest neighborhoods in Lisbon.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I think walking through the two old parts of Lisbon called Alfama and Barrio Alto is a bigger attraction than any monestary or museum in town so i would suggest that for sure.

If you are in to being active then you could also rent a bicycle and take a ride along the Tejo river where you have bikepaths that makes this very easy and nice. There is a fantastic bicycle rental place down by Cais do Sodre where they have high quality bikes for rent. I have a review of the place on this link with their adress on it: "Rent a bike." - Lisbon Things to Do Tip by cachaseiro

You could also head up to Sintra. I know the royal castle is closed un monday but it's not really that interesting anyway and nicer to look at from the outside. In my opinion Sintras attraction is the town and you do not really need to pay high entrance fees to see the buildings with public acces.

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Tho most museums are not open on Mondays, the entire Lisbon is wide open for exploration. This is to me the ideal day to put on your reliable walking shoes and explore the city's great neighborhoods and stroll up and down the old city's many hills. And businesses are open certainly thus good time as well to do some shopping (if this is a consideration in your itenerary), sample wonderful Portuguese cuisine and wines and/or cafe hop and taste the country's incredible arrary of sweets and pastries.

And, as other posters have suggested here already, take the train and go experience fabled Sintra that most breathtaking royal village up among pine-clad mountain, a day trip to seaside Cascais or to the Roman city of Evora. Lots of options.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Hi! What time of year are you planning to visit Lisbon and for how many days? Are you particularly interested in visiting the museums etc?

We had a great VT Euromeet in Lisbon/Cascais a few years ago, so there are lots of pages from VTers who attended this meet, with oodles of suggestions of things to see and do in and around Lisbon.

I'd certainly agree with trying the delicious custard tarts at least once and exploring on foot or taking the rickitty trams - Beware of pick pockets on the trams though - see DAO's Warning on his page.

A train ride to Cascais and Estoril is well worth it (sit on the left hand side for the best views) Cascais has nice beaches and parks etc.

Day trips to Sintra, Cabo de Roca (the most westerly point of Europe - you can purchase a certificate to commemorate your visit here) and Evora are worth considering.

Have A Great Trip!

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

If you do the castle, you might as well do the Cathedral and St. Anthony's also. At the Cathedral you can go through the convent area and all of the treasures. Then in the crypt of St. Anthony's is where the saint was born.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 2:15 AM

For the pasties de Belem, remember that this place is right next to the Jeronimus monestary and church which is closed on monday, so i suggest you leave that for another day as i think the church is really interesting and this comes from a person who normally never visit churches, but i like that good old Vasco da Gama has his tomb right by the entrance so i usually pop by and say hello to him whenever i am in the area.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Portugal Travel Answer Locations