Portugal Travel Answers

change location
azweigar's Profile Photo

Retiring in Portugal

by azweigar Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to retire in Portugal? (I'm not of Portuguese descent.) Thanks!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Retiring in Portugal

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Wel eh, no, - but there are ways to find out. Best way is to talk to folks that have already done what you are about to do. You do this by finding expat sites on the web, that will help. Here are a couple, but there are more. Just google the words Portugal and expats, and you will find sources. You jpoin thie forums and go from there

http://www.expatsportugal.com/

expatforum.com/expats/portug...

Welcome to VT.......d:o)

3 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I say go there and hang out and talk with the expats, but the other. Answer is great. Cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

You also need to explore residency requirements for Portugal.

embassyportugal-us.org/Embas...

US citizens are free to enter the Schengen Zone (of which Portugal is a member) for up to 90 days in any 180 day period, but if you intend to stay for longer you will need to apply for a proper visa...in your case, I think, a Type 1 visa.

The key issue is to prove that you are of independent means and will not be any sort of drain on the country's limited resources.

• Re: Retiring in Portugal

by viewtheworld Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I take it you have already visited the lovely country & know what area/city/town you want to settle in?

Are you seeking a beachfront property, or one tucked inland (like Silves), or around the capital?

Always good to pick up at least some of the lingo - useful in markets, etc. Rosettastone.com provides excellent resources for that.

Good luck.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 3:42 AM

There is a lot of bureaucracy involved in coming here to live. Most of the paperwork is only in Portuguese. You will find it essential to have a Portuguese speaker or even pay for an agent to process the innumerable bits of paper, go to the various offices, get the forms registered, get a tax number, residence permit etc etc.

But this is not really the ´place to ask as this is a travellers forum. Visit the expat forums as advised. Here is another one www.albufeira.com/forum

1 member found this helpful

• 64novpt's Profile Photo

by 64novpt Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 4:47 AM

The official tourist office in Portugal has a site about living in Portugal http://www.livinginportugal.com/en/; they have a specific tab about "Residency requirements"

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I'd assume you're of a U.S. citizenship which makes it mandatory that you file your residency papers and submit it to the Portuguese Embassy or the nearest Portuguese Consulate near you. Once approved, your new status as a legal resident in Portugal would make/speed up things over there in your desire to retire in Portugal.

Meantime, you should acquaint yourself with as much of and about the country by taking and enjoying your many visits there. This way you'd have a decent idea where you might want to base yourself in for your eventual retirement.

Good luck.

• smonteiromota's Profile Photo

by smonteiromota Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 7:37 AM

After the posts i saw, you already have some value information, so i would say just a few things to have in your mind: An apartment T2 in the suburbs of lisbon may cost 300-400euros/month, electricity about 60euros/month, water company 30euros. A health insurance for people with more than 65years can cost about 110euros/month (50.000euros value of insurance) or 200euros/month with full services( 250.000euros). A private doctor charges about 100euros, the public service about 10euros(but you wait about 1 month). No one dies here without attention of the hospital. Even if you don't have insurance, in the emergency of the hospital, you will always get treatment! they send the bill to your home after the treatment. An 1liter milk package costs about 0,60euros, tomato 1,5euro/kilo, a good steak about 18euros/kilo, fresh fish about 6-12euros kilo. :) If you live in lisbon you may pay about 45euros/month to use, without restrictions, the public transportation. I hope i helped. :)

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Portugal Travel Answer Locations