Travel Answers
Portofino

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• manhtuank8's Profile Photo

Genoa / San Remo (Italy) or Nice (France)

San Remo Apr 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Hi friends,

In September, my gangs and i will have a short trip to Italy and France. We are changing one of our destination from Turin to Genoa / San Remo or Nice.

Please advise me that between

- Sanremo with a stop at Genoa en route transferring from Florence

- or Nice with a stop at Monte Carlo en route

which one is better for foods, sight, and value (we have tight budget)?

Thanks in advance

Tuan

more
    • trains to Florence

La Spezia Apr 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Are there earlier trains to Florence from La Spezia. The earliest one I can find departs at 8pm

more
    • buitensorg's Profile Photo

Cheap and cheerful hotel

Chiavari Mar 27, 2014 at 12:50 AM

We are looking for a hotel in Chiavari for one night in October. For 3 adults. OR an apartment? near the train station if possible. OR seeing we are taking the regional train from Milan........where would you stop for an overnight (having just flown into Italy) en route to Chiavari. thanks!

more
    • luggage hold la spezia

La Spezia Mar 20, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Is there a luggage hold in La Spezia where they can hold my luggage for a day?

more
    • Savona centre from costa cruise ship

Savona Apr 3, 2014 at 6:02 AM

Hi everybody, we're a family of 4 and would like to do a walking tour of Savona from cruise ship, please come with some good ideas, thx:)

more
    • Where can I learn italian language in this region?

San Remo Mar 26, 2014 at 5:56 AM

Hi guys

I am going soon for a short trip in Italy and I'll stay a few days in Liguria (Genova's region).

I am wondering if one of you guys had experience in italian school for foreigners there!

thanks

Jp

more
    • Ferry trip in CT

Corniglia Apr 6, 2014 at 10:14 AM

How long does the ferry trip take from La Spezia to last of the villages? We thought we could take the ferry up & then use the train back to Corniglia, where we have a booking for 2 nights. Also where do we look for a ferry timetable?
      Thanks.

more
    • free walking trail maps

Santa Margherita Ligure Mar 31, 2014 at 9:19 PM

where or how can I get free walking trail maps for walks out of santa margherita ligure

more
    • Train to Milan

Monterosso al Mare Mar 26, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Is there a morning train from Monterosso to Milan? We have a 4pm flight to Germany to catch

more
    • least challenging walk from train to one of the villages

Monterosso al Mare Apr 15, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I have an 80 year grandfather who wants to walk from the train down to one of the villages. Which village has the least challenging walk from Train to village?

more
    • Sunday Cinque Terre regional train times

Riomaggiore Apr 13, 2014 at 5:50 AM

I have found the Cinque Terre train time schedule found on cinqueterre.eu.com/en/cinque... and am confused about the times for (Column B) Sunday train times to La Spezia. It looks like there's only one train at 9:00am. Is that possibly true or am I reading the timetable wrong? Does the Cinque Terre regional train run out of Riomaggiore to La Spezia more frequently? I need to get to La Spezia to catch the 8:20am train out to Rome. Can anyone, does anyone have info to assist in my Sunday travel worries?

more
    • Train from Florence to Santa Margherita

Santa Margherita Ligure Mar 31, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Hi, I am wanting to get a train from Florence to Santa Margherita. Is there 1 stop in Pisa and what is the fastest train? Once in Santa Margherita, what is the best/easiest way to get to hotels (centrally)? We will have children with us, so easiest & quickets is best. Also, is there good nightlife in Santa Margherita? Thank you!

more
    • kbr61263's Profile Photo

Walking in Cinque terre and transport around portovenere and bay of poets with disabled daughter

Liguria Apr 8, 2014 at 7:42 AM

we are staying close to portovenere next week, my wife and I with disabled daughter. She does not normally use a wheelchair for short journeys, but we have decided to bring her chair with us as she has been having some difficulty recently. She can climb stairs but is quite slow. My plan is to spend perhaps 2 days visiting the 5terre, one day by boatand one day by train. Are any of the walks likely to be suitable with a wheelchair? She can climb a few flights of stairs or small groups now and again whilst I can carry the chair up, but we couldnt manage hundreds.

We have 4 or 5 days in the area, my plan would be to do the islands off portovenere on one day and the bay of poets (by bus) the other. does this seem a reasonable plan? any suggestions to make getting about easier? I am assuming a hire car is more trouble than its worth.

I would like to be in 5terre for sunset at least one evening, how frequent are busses trains in the evening to get back to portovenere (le grazie).

There appears to be a ferry marked on maps from le grazie to lerici? Any info?

more
    • virtue62's Profile Photo

Travelling from Nice to Cinque Terre

Riomaggiore Apr 11, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Can I please have some ideas??

more
    • Romantic accommodation with sea-view for under 140Eu per night? Possible?

Riomaggiore Apr 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM

We're on a budget but I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend here in CT. So far, we love Monterosso or Vernazza. I'm having a difficult time finding available accommodation for 3 nights (end of this month) for less than 140eu per night. I'd love to find a cute B&B, Vacation Rental or anything with a balcony or rooftop terrace with a sea-view.

Any ideas? Would be nice to have this private and romantic area of ours for me to propose in. :-)

Thanks!

more
    • Italian Riviera

by heralds Online Now Mar 12, 2014 at 9:58 AM

We are staying in Riomaggiore (Cinque Tere) from 9/27/14 thru 9/30/14. I understand there is ferry service between the 2 areas. Is that the best method of travel? We will NOT have a car. How do I obtain a ferry schedule and do I need tickets in advance?

4 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 4:05 AM
    • Day in Florence.

by Rhee620 Online Now Jan 4, 2014 at 6:45 AM

We will be in Portofino end of April. A friend has asked us to meet him in Florence for the day if we could ..Is there a way to do this from Portofino? How long would it take to get there? How late can would we be able to return? Thanks for any feedback.

2 Answers Jan 6, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    • Weather in Portofino

by ceyef Online Now Nov 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM

What's the weather like in Portofino?

3 Answers Nov 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    • amsor's Profile Photo

how can I go to Pf from Genua ?

by amsor Online Now Oct 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I forgot to ask
      should I rent a car ?
      or go by public Transport ?

4 Answers Oct 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    • amsor's Profile Photo

how long should I stay ?

by amsor Online Now Oct 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I shall be going to Genua in Dezember.
      Is Portofino a fulldaytrip or halfday is enough ?

3 Answers Oct 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    • diana_renou's Profile Photo

Day trip from Genoa to Portofino and 5 Terre in the same day...it is posible?

by diana_renou Online Now Aug 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Hi everybody!! I will spend 5 days in Genoa next June 2014. I would like to visit Portofino and 5 Terre (a day trip) and my question is if it is a good idea or not .I travel by public transportation because I dont like to drive.

Another question: If I have 5 days in Genoa it is enought time to visit Genoa and to do 2days trips (one to Portofino and 5 Terre and the other to Turin (Torino). What do you think about? It is to much to do in 5 days? Many thanks for any advice!!

9 Answers Aug 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    • Daily trip from Florence to Pisa than Portofino

by kerkilman Online Now Jul 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Hi, We will be there end of July at Florence with our friends and we are plannig to make daily trip to Pisa than Portofino. I would be pleased if you inform us for the easiest/common ways for this trip with the details. Becuse we could not find healthy info either Trenitalia (departure time) or somewhere (forums) else.On the otherhand If it is not possible for one day we will also able to change tour plan directly from Florence to Portofino. Waiting your kind help!Thank you in advance..

12 Answers Jul 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    • Locate pottery shop Portofino hand painted scenes

by CPenta Online Now Jun 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I am trying to find pottery shop that makes ceramics painted with Portofino scenes. Delfino restaurant has these as table decorations. Some are egg shaped and some are tree shaped. I was there in September of 2009. I want to buy a piece of the pottery as a remembrance of my trip.

2 Answers Jun 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    • Day trip to Portofino

by JNord Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Can i go from Milan to Portofino and back by train in 1 day and see much of Portofino? What is the best way to get there from Milan?

4 Answers Mar 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    • cemocem's Profile Photo

Cinque Terre by Train

by cemocem Online Now Mar 13, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Hi,
      I am trying to find out the train or bus schedules between Portofino and Cinque Terre villages. Is it possible to go between Portofino and Cinque Terre? Is it enough one day for them?

9 Answers Mar 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    • Northern Italy first timer

by carrie.sherrill Online Now Sep 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM

2 65yo ladies looking for clean budget place to stay near portofino.80 per day max...any ideas. Our 1st ime in Italy!

5 Answers Sep 9, 2011 at 1:16 AM
    • Visiting Portofino in January

by Gilis Online Now Jan 9, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Hi!

planning to fly to Portofino by the end of January. Just wondering if although it's winter its still possible to sightseeing Specifically
      (1) are the walking trails closed;
      (2) are ferries are running;
      (3) are pubs and restaurants open

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gil

2 Answers Nov 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM
    • Which is easier to travel to Portofino? from Milan or from Rome?

by Oliviaever Online Now Nov 21, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Hi! I am planning a tour to Italy. I have been to most of the tourist spots like Colosseum, Pisa etc. but want to explore the outskirts this time 'round. I found a toursite covering almost every place I want to go from Sienna, Umbria, Capri, Positano, Pompeii etc. except for Portofino. The agent said I will have to go on my own, either before tour begins or after the tour ends. The tour will start in Milan and end in Rome. Pls. advise me from where should I plan to take my own tour to Portofino...from Milan or from Rome, and are there any local tours to Portofino from Milan or Rome? Any help and reply would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

9 Answers Nov 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    • travelling to portofino from genoa

by barzeev Online Now Aug 28, 2010 at 5:02 AM

will it be worthwhile to rent a car or use other transportation to portofino from genoa airport. we plan to be one week in portofino. how much will it cost to use the ferry? that is to get around cinque terre and the entire area?

3 Answers Aug 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    • hotel around portofino

by wendyes Online Now Jul 19, 2010 at 4:18 AM

hey everyone

i am curious to know where i can find a hotel to stay close to Portofino yet not have to pay a lot of money for the hotel? All i can find within portofino are quite pricy and the ones outside confuse me since i am not familiar with the surrounding, any suggestion is welcome!

many thanks in advance
      Ozlwm

7 Answers Jul 20, 2010 at 1:04 AM
    • Free beach in Portofino

by Kir1304 Online Now Jun 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Hi!

Could you tell me is there the free beach in Portofino or somewhere near that place?
      What is the nearest free beach to Portofino Harbour?

Thank you!

5 Answers Jun 15, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    • CASTEL BROWN

by CUPELLI Online Now May 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM

CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME HISTORY ON CASTEL BROWN ? WHEN IT WAS PURCHASE AND WHO IS MR. BROWN ?

2 Answers May 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    • artwork

by janeylee Online Now Jan 26, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I visited Portofino in October. There was a small gift/art shop set back from the pedestrian walkway, on the right when walking up from the harbour. The top of the walkway had bollards restricting traffic access. When I got to the shop it was closed temporarily, in the window there was a large photograph of water running over stones. I would love to know the name of the shop to enquire about the price of the artwork. I know these details are scant but I was only there briefly on a short trip. Please could anyone help?

Jane Lee

1 Answer Jan 26, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    • Desparately need help

by stephenao Online Now Oct 15, 2009 at 3:44 PM

My cruise, Celebrity just gave me a last minute notification that they decided to eliminate the port of call "Portofino" from today till the rest of year due to weather condition. My ship is supposed to arrive at Portofino on 10/26. I felt very devastated wthout visiting this place.

1. Can anybody who are now in Portofino or just been Portofino advise me of the weather condition at Portofino?

2. Anyone know if other crusie liners still sail to Portofino in the rest of October?

Would greatly appreciate your prompt input.

Regards

Stephen

30 Answers Nov 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    • Cinque Terre by Train

by aostephen Online Now Sep 22, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Just came up with one quick question. If I take the train to visit the Cinque Terrre, is each train station closed to the waterfront/beach? Is the train route a scenic route?

Would appreciate your feedback

Thanks

8 Answers Sep 23, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    • public transport in Portofino

by stephenao Online Now Sep 4, 2009 at 9:45 AM

For sightseeing, what is the major transport, by boat? by bus or by train? How to ride on those transport? Any website I can visit to get the schedule and fare info? Any scenic spot, you can recommend?

Thank you for your assistance.

Stephen (ao_stephen@yahoo.com

37 Answers Sep 22, 2009 at 10:12 AM
    • Train Trip

by lolaadejohn Online Now May 19, 2009 at 2:46 AM

How do I get from Milan to Portofino by train?

2 Answers May 19, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    • bettyo70's Profile Photo

Are there quick trips BY FERRY from Portofino or Santa Margherita to the French Riviera??

by bettyo70 Online Now May 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Hi Everyone,

We will be staying for one week in September near Santa Margherita and Portofino.

I was wondering if there are any quick ferry rides into any part of the French Riviera that we could take for a "daytrip"?

Or does going by boat take too long to enjoy one of the French towns?

Thank you for your help!

3 Answers May 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    • Luggage storage around Portofino

by debbie08 Online Now Jan 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Hi, We will be travelling by train from Torino to Genova in May and then proceeding to the Cinque Terre for a couple of days. We were hoping to see Portofino on the way through. Is there anywhere we can drop off our bags for the day (preferably one of the rail stations) so we can do some sightseeing before moving on to the CT? I imagine Genoa would have storage but that may involve some backtracking. I believe we have to pass through S. Margherita station - would that have storage? Many thanks in advance.

1 Answer Jan 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM
    • Travel from Florence to Portofino

by mrsgeorge Online Now Jun 19, 2008 at 3:56 AM

What is the best way to get from Florence to Portofino? We will be travelling in September and want to avoid hiring a car.

1 Answer Jun 19, 2008 at 4:15 AM
    • Santa Margherita

by kudad Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 8:39 PM

We will be spending 1 night in Santa Margherita prior to going to Tuscany area.
      Any suggestions for a nice, clean place for the 4 of us. 2 adults and 2 teenagers
      Thank you,

6 Answers Feb 8, 2008 at 6:00 PM
    • Bus stop in Portofino

by TravelTwee Online Now Dec 4, 2007 at 1:19 PM

Hello,

I'll be arriving in Portofino by cruise ship. Can someone tell me how to get to the bus stop in Portofino so I can catch a bus to San Margherita?

I can't seem to find a decent map depicting where the bus stop is.

Thanks for helping out.

Twee

3 Answers Dec 8, 2007 at 10:25 PM
    • rogocop's Profile Photo

Hiring a Guide for Portofino

by rogocop Online Now Sep 6, 2007 at 5:38 PM

What is best way to hire a guide in this area? Is travelling and touring Tuscany reasonable to do from there?

1 Answer Sep 6, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Travelling Portofino to Bellagio

by rogocop Online Now Sep 6, 2007 at 6:45 AM

What is the best way to quickly get from Portofino to Bellagio on Lake Como?

3 Answers Sep 6, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Travelling Rome to Portofino - End of September

by rogocop Online Now Sep 6, 2007 at 6:32 AM

What is the best way to travel from Rome to Portofino at the end of September? The trains to Santa Margherita seem to be very, very slow (4+ hours). Are their any better ways?

1 Answer Sep 6, 2007 at 6:53 AM