Portofino Travel Answers

change location
sandgrounder's Profile Photo

Day out in Portofino from Nice

by sandgrounder Online Now Jul 1, 2006 at 4:29 PM

We shall be in Nice in August and would like to visit Portofino. I understand parking there is a nightmare. Would it be better to get the train or is it worth driving to another nearby town and getting a bus, train or boat from there?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Iowa2's Profile Photo

RE: Day out in Portofino from Nice

by Iowa2 Online Now Jul 1, 2006 at 6:15 PM

OK, I'm too lazy to look up the correct spelling on this town. "Santa Margarita Lugore" is close. It is a few miles south down the coast from Portofino.

It is a real town, not something reserved for tourists.

The bus that connects the two towns is better than any amusement park ride you've ever been on. Connects the town centers in both.

There is also a ferry that connects them too.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nicolaitan's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Day out in Portofino from Nice

by nicolaitan Online Now Jul 2, 2006 at 6:02 AM

Parking in Portofino is in a dreadful cement garage with narrow spaces and the traffic backs up for a long ways on the road into town. Santa Margherita is a lovely town we have stayed in 4 times over 21 years and love. (I, among others, have pages on both). BUT- this is a huge long minimum 5-6 hour trip for surprisingly little. Suggest strongly you find a closer place to visit like a French hill village (St. Paul de Vence, Tourette, Eze, Gourdon) ( there are only a few pages on some of these, including mine - check them out). Or, go to the old village of Antibes for the Picasso museum. If you go to Portofino by train, at least 2 changes of train each way. The autostrada will be crowded, not to mention expensive. Think more locally. You will have a great time.

• sandgrounder's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Day out in Portofino from Nice

by sandgrounder Online Now Jul 2, 2006 at 7:36 AM

Many thanks for the tips. I hadn't appreciated the distances involved until I checked on the maps this morning. I was under the impression that Portofino was just east of Menton. I can see now it is about 150 miles from Nice to Portofino, a round trip of 300 miles in one day....when I'm supposed to be on holiday! You're quite right - I would much prefer to travel more locally.
    Thanks again
    Chris

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines