Porto Travel Answers

change location
zaffaran's Profile Photo

Porto to Santiago de Compostela by public transport

by zaffaran Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Hello,
while staying in Porto, I'd love to vist Santiago de Compostela (one night in Santiago) and come back to Porto.Can anyone suggest the way I can do it?

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: Porto to Santiago de Compostela by public transport

by cgf Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

by train you should change train at Vigo
    http://www.cp.pt for the Portuguese timetables
    http://www.renfe.es for the Spanish timetables
    by bus I remember one.. but I don't find anything about it
    it's a while since I've been to Porto and probably there's no service anymore

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM

with a change at Vigo also buses should be available, I meant a direct bus to Santiago from Porto and back.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

found!
    alsa.es/en/buy-and-schedules...
    but it takes long long time.
    you may consider to rent a car and in a little bit more than a couple hours you'll be at destination, actually you could do a day trip.
    by car along 'autopista'[motorway, highway], between Vigo and Santiago there's a nice town, Pontevedra, a really worth visit.
    BTW if you like oysters, Ria of Vigo (Pontevedra province) is the right place

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 2:58 AM

There are other buses between Porto and Vigo with Autna

www.autna.com it's only in Spanish, so click on 'Servicios' then 'Linhas Regulares' for the timetable.

That plus a train from Vigo to Santiago may offer better journey choices.

Trains run between Vigo and Santiago de Compostela every one or two hours at irregular intervals. See www.renfe.com for details.

• zaffaran's Profile Photo

by zaffaran Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Thank you very much, your tips are really very helpful.Now I know WHAT and WHERE to look. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

• smonteiromota's Profile Photo

by smonteiromota Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Go for it, you will not regret. Santiago is a very nice town to visit. I like the tradicional Santiago pie! mnham mnham... don't forget to try it!.

• Re: Porto to Santiago de Compostela by public transport

by Aga1980 Online Now Jul 27, 2013 at 3:00 AM

From what I can see at the Autna website, there are also direct buses from Porto to Santiago de Compostela and back (45 EUR return trip).

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Jul 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Yes, that's right. Since 1st July this year some of their buses now run to and from Santiago de Compostela, avoiding the need for a change in Vigo.

The railway has responded and now runs two non stop trains each day between Porto and Vigo. The travel options are now much better than a year ago.

by zaffaran Online Now Jul 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Thank you. I did it 3 weeks ago. I took the bus from Porto Airport at 9.45. It was a bit funny because no-one at the bus info at the airport knew that the direct bus operated from Porto to Santiago!They advised me to go to Vigo or take the bus from Batalha bus station. Anyway, I decided to wait and at 9.45 the bus appeared.The link to the timetable and prices- below
    alsa.es/en/buy-and-schedules...

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Jul 28, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Taking the bus from Batalha would not have been a good idea as neither ALSA nor Autna use that terminal. Anyway, pleased it worked but the lack of publicity and information is slightly worrying, even with the excuse that 3 weeks ago the direct service to Santiago had only just begun.

by zaffaran Online Now Jul 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Yes, lack of info is really worrying, hopefully it'll improve. Beginnings are usualy difficult. Anyway, it's worth knowing that the return bus -departing Santiago at 12- goes via Braga.

by zaffaran Online Now Jul 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Aga, I knew there were, but you know, when locals said there weren't I got a bit ...say...unsure :-)

• Re: Porto to Santiago de Compostela by public transport

by Aga1980 Online Now Feb 26, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Things can get even trickier further up north... And so we came on one beautiful day to Viana do Castelo... it was beginning of September 2014... it was Sutarday, we had a reservation for Sunday in a hostel in Santiago... and on a Saturday afternoon almost all of the bus-oparators' counters were closed at the bus station in Viana... and at the only counter that was open, the lady told us that we cannot buy tickets to Santiago - as it is Saturday afternoon! - NOR can we do it at the bus the next day in the morning...
    We were horrified... But instisted :-), so she made a telephone call and eventually filled out the ticket blankets for us and sold them to us... Direct bus from Viana do Castelo to Santiago de Compostela does exist! :-)
    I had used this site: http://www.internorte.pt. The prices at the counter are a little bit higher than the ones given on the webpage. And the lady was not able to sell us a return ticket, only a one-way ticket. So the whole thing came out as more expensive than expected - but worth it..

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Feb 27, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Your experience is not untypical. Where the bus is operated by a Spanish company, the people in Portugal must telephone to make a reservation on your behalf. Many companies only will do this during weekday 'office hours' for whatever reason. They may not have on line reservation and ticket purchase options.

Very few regional buses operate at weekends in Portugal, which is why many ticket counters are closed.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines