Porto Travel Answers

change location
MandeeJC's Profile Photo

Must-do/see in Porto

by MandeeJC Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I'll be heading to Porto toward the end of July with my significant other. Can you recommend anything that we should put on our "must do" list? TIA

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Steve51's Profile Photo

Re: Must-do/see in Porto

by Steve51 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM

take a cruise up the Douro and train back, visit the port "caves"

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM

The Se Cathedral, the San Francisco Church, the port tasting rooms across the river in Gaia, there are some great local museums. Instead of taking the boat up the Douro River we hired a driver and small mini van and visited a number of wineries and port houses in the Douro Valley. The boat ride up the river and then the train down looked interesting, but it seemed you spent most of the day en route.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

by Martin_S. Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Hi and Shalom: Porto is a wonderful city, historical, tasteful and just plain fun. Some of the things to do you can find on my pages at - "The "problem" with Porto...too much to see and do" - Porto by Martin_S. Sorry that we only had 3 days there, but we will be back. Martin

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Take a look at the VT Porto Travel Guide; yyou will get '1000 ideas' about what to do/see: Porto Travel Guide

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Porto is a really interesting city with a good vibe.

The river front is really nice on both sides of the river and you can walk across the train bridge if you want a really good view of the river from high above. The train bridge is close to the cathedral.

The old Sao Bento train station is a favorite of mine too with all it's teils inside.

And don't miss a portwine tasting in one of the many portwine houses. Taylors Port has one of the best portwine tours in town.

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:36 AM

The fantastic old tiles in the Sao Bento railway station is a must definitely ( that is, if you like tiles and these are uniquely Portuguese of course). Like Claus, it too is one of my favorites to visit and look at.

And then you have the great churches of Porto and the seemingly endless wineries to visit.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines