• rickd11's Profile Photo

Brewery tours

by rickd11 Online Now Mar 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Which breweries give tours?

4 Answers Mar 28, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    • parttimetraveler's Profile Photo

Greyhound Station to Portland Airport

by parttimetraveler Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM

What would be my cheapest/best mode of transportation from the bus depot to the airport?

5 Answers Feb 9, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    • RacerRex9727's Profile Photo

New to traveling, thinking of going solo, any tips?

by RacerRex9727 Online Now Jun 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM

My name is Tom. I'm 24 and I'm new to Dallas, I just moved here a year ago from Phoenix. I have an awesome blessing of working for a large U.S. domestic airline at their corporate office. I've been working hard long hours there for the past year or two but now I'm finally established. I never really used my free flight benefits because I was so busy working.

I never really traveled much growing up, my parents did not have much money and put it all towards my private education, and I spent more time studying and had few outlets for recreation. Now I have this explosive opportunity to fly wherever I want whenever I want. The concept of recreation is alien to me as I have studied and focused on professional development as long as I can remember. But now I want to branch out and explore, and discover who I am outside of my career.

But I won't lie, I'm a little intimidated. I've traveled for recreation a little with family since I started working with the airline. But I want to take a leap and explore on my own. I can travel to almost 100 destinations but I don't know how to get started. I'm too young to rent a car without getting hammered with fees, so what cities are good if I want to walk or use cheap public transportation? I am thinking of doing Portland since I enjoyed Seattle so much with my family. I also don't feel comfortable traveling with my new friends yet as I don't know them well enough (and I don't drink or hit bars like they do). Is it normal to travel alone? Will I be lonely or depressed that I'm not sharing my travel experiences with someone? I heard its sometimes good to unwind and escape people and social pressures and leave them behind. Any suggestions?

14 Answers Jul 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    • chrisspinney's Profile Photo

Things not to miss during the trip from Cincinnati to Portland?

by chrisspinney Online Now May 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Have a tentative plan already to see both Arches and Yellowstone National Parks. Here's the trip so far: roadtrippers.com/trips/51a66...

I have 3 weeks and am very open to changing the route along the way. I'm into photography so places that are fun to take pictures of are a must, also really like architecture. Any suggestions?

8 Answers May 31, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    • Buy a phone with sim card

by depart76 Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I plan to visit Oregon and California next july, arriving through Portland.
      Can I buy a phone somewhere with a sim card, and at a reasonable price so that people I know may reach me ? I don't need to have lots of time on advanced purchase, that's mostly to receive calls. Can I buy it even if I'm a European visitor ? Where are the best deals ?

8 Answers Oct 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    • ctrmom's Profile Photo

Hotel by Amtrak Station?

by ctrmom Online Now Apr 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Need a one night hotel by Amtrak Station/Union Station so I am close to walk with my rolling suitcase the next day to the train. thanks

3 Answers Apr 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    • Cveilleux's Profile Photo

Cycling in Portland

by Cveilleux Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

We are going on an organized cycling tour the 3rd week of June, but will arrive 3 days before the trip begins. We will be bringing our bicycles and will be staying in a B&B in Southeast Portland. Which trails are the best ones to go on?

1 Answer Mar 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    • tracyskf's Profile Photo

1 day 1 night in Portland

by tracyskf Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Hi
      We will be on a road trip in a couple of weeks time and will get to spend 1 day 1 night in Portland. Can someone provide us recommendation on the top must-see? (Already booked accommodation and we will have a rented car to go around).

Keen to explore good places for food where locals go. So hope to get recommendations on this too (already making plans to go for Voodoo doughnuts!) =)

Thanks!

6 Answers Jan 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    • lodging close to Oregon Health and Science University and with public transportation?

by sliang1109 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Hello, my son is going to have an interview at OHSU. My questions are:

1) What neighborhood is OHSU located? We are thinking about bidding for a hotel room online, but don't know which neighborhood(s) should we check from the list.

2)Does anyone have recommendation for inexpensive stay near OHSU and with convenient public transportation to/from OHSU?

Thanks.

1 Answer Jan 31, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    • jagheter's Profile Photo

Portland or Mt. Hood - must visit restaurants

by jagheter Online Now Dec 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I'm going to be in Portland the first week of January with a bunch of foodies. Does anyone have a must-visit restaurant, gastro-pub, food shack, that they recommend?

thanks

6 Answers Jan 6, 2013 at 1:41 AM
    • kimcap's Profile Photo

Portland in january

by kimcap Online Now Nov 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM

hi :) im from southern california and was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect weather wise ( other than rain, rain, and more rain :)

Being from a warm climate i only have casual clothing and i love to dress pinup..(ha! that sounds so stupid.. but hey, i love the whole vintage look.. and it's huge and not silly at all down here. most of my wardrobe is bettie page inspired. bah)

my new bf is from here, is used to the cold and well lets face it, he's a guy and has no clue as to what to advice me to bring..
      I was just wondering if it's completely ridiculous to bother bringing any of my usual dresses in january...
      hopefully someone can answer this without making fun. ;p although i dont mind it..

kim

6 Answers Nov 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    • NYTim's Profile Photo

Public transportation

by NYTim Online Now Apr 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Coming to Portland next week. is there an easy way to go the coast for a day trip via public trans?

Cheers

NYTim

3 Answers Aug 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    • Visiting Portland on Foot... By Train.

by IronTitus Online Now Apr 13, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I'm thinking of coming down either Thursday the 26th or Friday the 27th with my wife. it will be our first real Portland visit (from Seattle area).

Any tips on how foot-based tourists could enjoy themselves? local hotel you'd recommend, maybe near a good night club or two? we like to dance, drink, explore cultural areas, and are considering hitting the Portland Center Stage for live theater one night as well.

Any tips? we're not so much the t-shirt and baseball cap type tourists....as much as we prefer the nitty gritty. good night clubs, dive cafe's, where the locals romp.

thanks guys :)

IronTitus

8 Answers May 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    • Dekeboo's Profile Photo

Portland in February 2012

by Dekeboo Online Now Nov 18, 2011 at 3:16 AM

I am going to be visiting Portland in February (amongst other places) and wondered if anyone could advise me on the best things to see. I am estimating about 3-5 days will be spent there before I leave to San Francisco (is this too many?). I also wondered what the weather would be like?

I am interested in interesting/unusual tours, music, art/history museums and book shops. I am an avid walker and am also keen to know how easy it is to get around Portland by foot (and occasional public transport). The tours don't have to be city tours - if there are day trips from Portland that you think shouldn't be missed?

many thanks in advance

13 Answers Nov 21, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    • WhiteMughal's Profile Photo

Lodging

by WhiteMughal Online Now Oct 8, 2011 at 9:08 AM

My sister is getting surgery at Good Samaritan. Where do people stay who are visiting a patient at that hospital?

5 Answers Mar 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    • WhiteMughal's Profile Photo

Bikes

by WhiteMughal Online Now Oct 7, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I am planning a visit to Portland, a city legendary as "bike-friendly". Last time I was there, I had a rental car. But in light of the bike-friendly reputation, I thought maybe I'd rent a bike this time. I'm betting that not one bike shop from the 50's when I rode bikes there is still around. But maybe Portland has jumped on the Nice Ride bandwagon and has rental stations all over town. Maybe Portland has a more clever name. So is this realistic. I know I can probably ride a train or bus wherever I want to go, but riding a bike might be fun part of the time.

4 Answers Oct 8, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    • Portland Airport to Greyhound Station

by estrothers Online Now Sep 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Is there a cheap way to get from the Portland Airport to the Greyhound station in Portland? I am traveling to Salem from the Portland Greyhound Station.

7000 NE Airport Way
      Portland, OR 97218

PORTLAND GREYHOUND STA
      550 NW 6TH AVE
      Portland, OR 97209

3 Answers Sep 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Drive time to Johnston Ridge Observatory from I-5?

by swdke Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Anyone know the drive time to Johnston Ridge Observatory from I-5? Thanks!

1 Answer Aug 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    • Unsafe Areas in Portland

by ragazza27 Online Now Aug 19, 2011 at 7:12 AM

Hello, my boyfriend and I will be visiting Portland in Oct. Was curious if NW Naito Pwky is a good place to stay...that's where our vacation rental that we're looking at is located. I've heard that Old Town is a bit unsafe and know that we're near it so wanted to make sure that area is okay. Also, looking at Hotel Modera if anyone thinks that's in a better location. Thank you!

2 Answers Aug 20, 2011 at 5:02 AM
    • Places to Leave Luggage

by ragazza27 Online Now Aug 19, 2011 at 7:09 AM

Hello, my boyfriend and I will be visiting Portland in Oct. We are wondering if there are any lockers located in the city (maybe at the train station?)where we could store our luggage on our last day as our flight leaves late and we are unable to keep it at our vacation rental after a certain time. We'd obviously prefer it to be close to the Max red line that will take us to the airport. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

3 Answers Aug 20, 2011 at 5:15 AM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Looking for a recommended Seafood restaurant in Portland and Brewpub

by swdke Online Now Aug 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Looking for a recommended Seafood restaurant in Portland, or Portland area, with a Northwestern or Pacific Northwest setting. A great view would be good, but more interested in a large variety of Pacific seafood, salmon or halibut in particular. Also, will be meeting a friend for dinner who has recently moved to Portland, and would like for this restaurant to be a good place to relax, not be rushed, and able to not only enjoy a great Pacific Northwest seafood dinner, but also have plenty of time to catch up in conversation with an old friend.

Or, maybe a brewpub, one known for excellent beers, but also a great menue, with hopefully some good Pacific seafood as well.

Thanks for your suggestions.

7 Answers Aug 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    • Trailhead's Profile Photo

Bicycle Oregon Coast - PDX to Coast

by Trailhead Online Now Aug 14, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I will be bicycling the Oregon coast through the Redwood forest in early Sept. and I have searched VT for guides on this activity but the results seem to be focus on driving or visiting.

If anyone else will be touring the coast via bicycle, let me know.

I have found plenty of information via the web but would welcome "real" feedback on the following:

1) I get into PDX late and plan on spending the night and then taking a train and bus to the coast. Any recommendations on where to stay and best method to get to the coast (I will have bicycle in tote)?

2) What and where to avoid

Thanks for the help.

Trailhead

11 Answers Aug 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    • How to go to Multnomah Falls and Mt. Hood - but I cannot drive

by joji123 Online Now Jun 18, 2011 at 7:50 AM

I am going to Portland and would like to visit Multnomah Falls and Mt. Hood (Loop Tour). However, I prefer not to drive. Are there any budget one-day package tours available in Portland, which is prestigious and the cost is around60-$80. Appreciate all answers and suggestions. :-)

2 Answers Jun 22, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    • onaquest's Profile Photo

SALSA DANCING IN PORTLAND FEB 2011

by onaquest Online Now Jan 12, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Hola Salseros!
      im looking for a good place to salsa in portland on Sunday feb 27th 2011.
      anyone have suggestions or know of a place?
      Ive look all over on line, i only came up with the Hob Nob Grill.
      Will be in PDX for Sunday, Sunday night and Monday.
      Thankyou in advance!

8 Answers Feb 21, 2011 at 11:16 PM
    • Any Ska/Reggae/Punk shows happening 11/12-14?

by GabePressure Online Now Nov 11, 2010 at 1:35 PM

We're coming up to visit this weekend and looking for good shows. Got any tips?

2 Answers Nov 11, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    • rosethorne7's Profile Photo

Looping through Portland, San Fran, Seattle....

by rosethorne7 Online Now Nov 10, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I am so excited to be planning our vaction for next Spring! We have been a FL/Disney family for the past 5 years and can't wait to see something new! It will be me, my dh, my dd-9, and ds-1. The furthest West we have been was a week in the Denver area in Feb. 09.

We will have 2 weeks. I have been back and forth on how to do this. I need to figure out what is the ceapest airport to fly into. From there we will make a loop, rturning to the same airport and flying home. The main things we want to see are San Francisco (we plan to visit some family), Sooma, Redwoods, Cannon Bch, Portland, Olympic Pen., Victoria BC, and Seattle. It's a lot, I know. But some places will just be a break in the drive, like Sonoma.

I watched a National park special once about Olympic NP and have loved it since. I can't wait!!!!

So, newbie here! Going to be looking for info on EVERYTHING! Hotels, routes, what to pack, must sees, ect...!!!!

Thank you! You VTers look like you know your stuff!

7 Answers Nov 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    • Jefie's Profile Photo

Best pubs/breweries in Portland, OR?

by Jefie Online Now Oct 9, 2010 at 6:06 AM

Hi! We'll be in Portland for a few days and I'd like to hear your recommendations for the best historic pubs and breweries in Portland - seems like there's just too many to choose from on my own! I'm not really concerned about the food, it's mostly the atmosphere (and beer) that's important. Thanks!

6 Answers Oct 29, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    • Vegan Restaurant?

by mike116 Online Now Sep 14, 2010 at 3:37 PM

We are coming in next week for my wife's birthday and wanted to know if anyone knows of a nice vegan restaurant near the Paramount Hotel? I know there are lots of vegan places, just wanted to no if someone could suggest a nice place to go for a birthday dinner.

1 Answer Sep 15, 2010 at 11:49 PM
    • TRX suspension training

by Ankledeep Online Now Sep 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I will be visiting NE Portland, Oregon Sep 16-25 and I am interested in taking a few beginner classes in the TRX suspension training. Does anyone know of a place that offers this? I have been checking online but am not sure if the places are reputable. Thank you much.

2 Answers Oct 27, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    • Herkbert's Profile Photo

8 Days in the Portland and surrounding area.

by Herkbert Online Now Aug 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Hi folks,

We're taking the Amtrak Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland and will stay in Portland for a couple days before heading over to the Willamette valley and then ending up near Mt Hood on the river. My question is what should we be sure not to miss?

Might sound goofy, but I definitely wanted to see the Spruce Goose while in Willamette, and I've heard that the area along the river is beautiful. What else should we catch?

Thanks.. Tom

7 Answers Aug 22, 2010 at 8:54 PM