Portland Travel Answers

change location
tracyskf's Profile Photo

1 day 1 night in Portland

by tracyskf Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Hi
We will be on a road trip in a couple of weeks time and will get to spend 1 day 1 night in Portland. Can someone provide us recommendation on the top must-see? (Already booked accommodation and we will have a rented car to go around).

Keen to explore good places for food where locals go. So hope to get recommendations on this too (already making plans to go for Voodoo doughnuts!) =)

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: 1 day 1 night in Portland

by Agraichen Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

ROTFL... the doughnuts are incredible. It's fun watching people get them through security at the airport. There are a whole lot of fun pubs. Too many to mention so depending on you likes, I'd just stop at one.

I've only just started exploring the city as my daughter just moved there but I'd say from what I've found thus far all the places on or near Hawthorn, Powell and Belmont are great in the SE section.

I'm certain locals will provide more.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM

One thought for some photos of the area would be to take the arial tram from the river to OHSU and back. Round trip is4.00.

http://gobytram.com/?page_id=488

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Must see locations depend on what your interests are, and what time of year. One hour or so east of Portland is the Columbia River Gorge, which has great hikes and scenery.

SE Powell Blvd would not be my choice of where to send you. Hawthorne and Belmont, yes. Also, NE Alberta.

The Willamette Week newspaper has a reasonably good web site that features local restaurant reviews, and suggest you start there. If you can find a copy of their annual restaurant guide I highly suggest getting it, but it appears only once a year around October.

• Ann75's Profile Photo

by Ann75 Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Yes, do go to Voodoo Donoughts! The variety they have is just awesome! We were there 2 years ago and my husband couldn't resist buying a t-shirt at the store as well.

Have fun!

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Aside from Voodoo, a place that has to been to be believed is Powells Books in downtown Portland. They have at least 5 locations in Portland but the one location you have to see is on 1005 Burnside. Just a short walk from Pioneer Square. The bookstore is an old building occupying several levels with well over 1 million books in stock. No other city I can think of has such a treasure like this.

However if you are not a book worm and the weather is good I would recommend taking a hike through Washington Park. They have an amazing systems of trails highlighting plants and trees from all over the world. One of the trails has great views overlooking the City. A nice thing about the park is that it can easily reaching by the Portland Tri-Met (light rail) and there is no admission fee.

What a great city Portland is!

• jagheter's Profile Photo

by jagheter Online Now Jan 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM

glabah wrote: SE Powell Blvd would not be my choice of where to send you. Hawthorne and Belmont, yes. Also, NE Alberta.

I'll second the recommendation for Hawthorne, in the SE quarter. There's also historic Mississippi in the NE. And the dining scene in the NW quarter is great, too. Downtown is nice to go through, but not as much character (read that as less dumpy, less hipter, or however you want) as the other areas I mentioned.

Also, you do not want to miss the miles and miles of amazing trails that run through the city. Tryon Creek park is a good place to check out.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines