Portland Travel Answers

change location
travelgirl214's Profile Photo

Things to do or see near Aladdin Theater

by travelgirl214 Online Now Jun 29, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Hi,
I will be in Portland for the day for The Polyphonic Spree concert on July 14. Is there anything to do or see around the Aladdin Theater? Good places to eat? Cool retro/vintage shops? Any information would be much appreciated!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mossyfeet's Profile Photo

Re: Things to do or see near Aladdin Theater

by mossyfeet Online Now Jan 15, 2008 at 1:48 PM

There's not tons of stuff in the immediate vicinity of the Aladdin. The Nite Lite is one of my favorite bars and it's sort of near there on SE 21st & Clinton. They have great food, no smoking, good music, quality drinks and outdoor seating in the early evening.

You might enjoy walking down Hawthorne, there are a couple retro/vintage clothing shops and further down there are some shops that sell funky antiques.

I'd recommend the Pied Cow on Belmont for coffee and desserts, but get there either really early or really late to get a seat. In the summer they have great outdoor seating which relieves some of the seating congestion. You can order a hookah with flavored tobacco to share with your friends if you're seated outside. I'm not a smoker, but the novelty of it is fun if nothing else.

You might enjoy the Delta Cafe on Woodstock, it's sort of southern food. Great fried okra. You can order a 40 (that is, ounces of malt liquor). Just up the street from there is Tani's sushi, which was always tasty and fresh and reasonably priced for sushi.

There's lots of good thai food in Portland, Khun Pic's Bahn Thai on Belmont has great food and is actually kinda romantic. It's behind the wall of bamboo! Typhoon is expensive, but excellent. Pok Pok Whiskey Soda Lounge is actually closest to the Aladdin, it was just getting started when I moved away, but it was fabulous. I hear it expanded and it's the new favorite of a friend whose judgment in food is impeccable.

There is also a cluster of restaurants at SE Bybee & Milwaukie, which is easy to access from the Aladdin.

If you get a chance to get across the river, you shouldn't miss Powell's Books. There are some great breweries in Portland, my favorite for food is the Laurelwood up on NW Kearney. If you're near either of those places you must get some gelato at Mio Gelato.

OK, now I'm very hungry! Let me know if you want more specifics on anything, or are looking for something in particular.

Let me know if you want more specifics on any of these. There are good restaurants on the other side of the river, too, I just wasn't sure how far you want to travel.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines