Portland Travel Answers

change location

schools

by erinavery Online Now May 7, 2004 at 4:15 PM

Hi,I have been doing research on the best place to raise my son and have completly fallen in love with portland/vancouver area,but am concerned about the public schools.Is that still an issue?Are they still in really bad shape?Or was I reading outdated info?Also is it unlikley that my husband would be able to find a job from here because it's so much easier for employers to hire a local?He is in arbitrage rebate is there even any of those sort of companies there or some kind of financial analyst possition? I would really appreciate any info also how is the crime?Is it clean and is there a problem with homeless...again any info would be greatly appreciated .I just love how laid back and artsy yet urban and sophisticated the people and the neighborhoods seem to be and the endless recreational activities. There really isn't that much to do in Dallas.THANX IN ADVANCE

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • jonastyPDX's Profile Photo

Re: schools

by jonastyPDX Online Now May 25, 2004 at 5:23 PM

Schools are still struggling to keep up financially, but the quality of schools is pretty high, particularly in medium to high-income regions. Many of the budget problems have been addressed by shortening the school year (though they've also cut some staff and extra-curricular programs). I wouldn't worry about "hiring locals" particularly in finance. My sense is that people will hire the best candidates. I myself am in municipal finance, but don't know of anybody in the area that does arbitrage rebate, though someone may exist. The municpal finance industry is pretty slim here, but the general finance industry seems healthy (from what I see outside my bubble). Violent crime is low, but property crime is high in isolated areas. Homelessness is better than most large west coast cities, but still visible. Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines