Portland

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Opening days gift shops

York Beach Apr 16, 2014 at 3:15 PM

When do most of the gift shops in York open? Joan's Beach and Gift especially.

more
    • Hotel Advice Appreciated

Bar Harbor Apr 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM

We're a family of five planning on visiting Bar Harbor at the end of June. Just wondering if you have any advice out of these three hotels (or another recommendation): Bayview, Atlantic Eeryie Lodge, and Bar Harbor Grand Hotel? Any experience with any of these?

more
    • Aussies driving Portland to Boston

Maine Mar 28, 2014 at 10:52 PM

We arrive in Portland around lunchtime 13th May and want to drive to Boston for the 16th May (to give us a day or so to explore Boston). Any suggestions of routes, towns to explore, must experience/do, foodie delights would be greatly appreciated.

more
    • marksenior's Profile Photo

The most decent and delightful place in Maine

Maine Apr 4, 2014 at 4:53 AM

Hello members, As I am planning for a spring vacation trip to Maine,USA so I am curious to know that is the atmosphere their is decent and delighful? What are your views on this?

more
    • How far is Bar Harbor from Old Orchard Beach

Bar Harbor Apr 17, 2014 at 6:25 AM

What is the distance between Bar Harbor and Old Orchard Beach

more
    • Overwhelmed!

Bangor Apr 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I will be arriving in Bangor Tuesday, April 15th. My husband will be there working in Baileyville since the 10th and will continue thru the 17th. I will be on my own for 2 days. I have looked at all the websites on Bangor and am overwhelmed at all there is to do. We will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Haskell Rd. What would be the best for me to do on my own for a couple days?
      thanks!
      iris downey

more
    • Is it worth a whole day?

by heyjoehudson Online Now Feb 18, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Hey! I'll be traveling to the northeast for vacation from Alabama. I'll be flying into Boston and will have about a week and a half to take in as much of New England as I possibly can. I'm really bound to transit systems since I won't have a car. There is a megabus that goes to Portland from Boston. Could I see most of Portland in a day or should I spend the night? Any other tips on where to go or what to see would be appreciated as well!

1 Answer Feb 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    • college visit

by nd509 Online Now Feb 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Visiting University of New England in Biddeford with my daughter on Saturday. Want to give her an idea of the surrounding area should she decide to go to college here. I have never been to Portland, any suggestions for touring and staying overnight?

Thank you

1 Answer Feb 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    • sonoilvento's Profile Photo

photography enthusiast

by sonoilvento Online Now Aug 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

What is the most quaint setting in Portland, indoors or out? (no boring sunset shots please)

5 Answers Aug 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    • where to start

by Dbloss Online Now Jun 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Best way to do Portland, Maine, Freeport, Kittery, Kennebunkport, traveling from NYC 7/13 thru 7/7/19 any other interesting cities. Must arrive back in NYc on sat 20th. thanks

• TamersonK's Profile Photo

One day in early May

by TamersonK Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

From Sarasota FL and I will have one day to spend in Portland in early May. Any suggestions?

5 Answers Mar 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    • tarced's Profile Photo

Lobster Roll in late November

by tarced Online Now Nov 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Hi!

We'll be passing through Portland in late November and would love to get a lobster roll. Anything available then that's good?

Thanks!

1 Answer Nov 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    • m1nkey's Profile Photo

Dancing in Portland Maine?

by m1nkey Online Now Sep 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Where OH where are the dancing venues in Portland, Scarborough, South Portland area? We are looking for Latin dancing like Salsa, Tango, Meringue and the like. So far all the night spots we have found are more involved with eating, drinking and sports. Those are fun too, but we are looking for a night club with a real dance floor for an older than College age crowd. Can anyone help us?

• SPORTS BARS FOR NFL GAMES

by ravenmike Online Now Aug 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM

In relative close proximity to where the cruise boats dock at Portland, Maine, are there any sports bars that DEFINITELY have multiple tvs AND the NFL Sunday Ticket? I want to see the Ravens/Steelers game on Sunday, 9/11 @ 1pm while we're there.

4 Answers Sep 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    • Portland in September

by Suehouse Online Now Jul 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Where is a good lobster pound in the Portland area? We want the picnic table/no frills experience, not some fancy restaurant. Also, if we drive up US 1 from Portland how long would it take to reach Acadia? Thanks so much for the info.

• Help us decide about vacation location

by emhine Online Now Jun 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Hi
      We are coming to portland maine for the first time at the end of July. It will be my wife, myself and our 10 year old daughter. We have the choice of two apts to rent and we are having trouble deciding. The addresses are:

- 200 High St. (portlandmainerentals.com/200...
      - 102 Eastern Promenade (aquariuspropertymanagement.c...

Whats important to us is:

- walking to amenities
      - quality of neighborhood
      - saftey

Any advice people may have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

• parking for peak's island

by davidlv55 Online Now Aug 11, 2010 at 8:21 PM

will be staying for two weeks on peak's. need an inexpensive lot to park car for that time. don't mind walking to get to ferry.

• What to do in Portland?

by cet84 Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Hi, my boyfriend and I are taking a cruise and one of our stops is Portalnd. We are trying to venture out and take our own tour. We will be docked from 10am to 7pm. Considering our short time frame what sightseeing is most recommended, best place to eat, and best tour to take?

Thanks!

1 Answer Jul 28, 2010 at 4:02 AM
    • First time in Portland

by mylifenow Online Now Aug 28, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Im coming to Portland Maine for the first time on October 17th till the 22nd, what should I do, see and eat? Please help!

3 Answers Aug 29, 2009 at 12:15 AM
    • Daisylove's Profile Photo

The opening hours of J's Oyster Bar

by Daisylove Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I will only be half day at Portland and I want to try the lobster at the J's Oyster Bar. May I know what is the openign hours of this resturant? Thanks

2 Answers Jul 30, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    • MARRIGE

by LeeMcDaniel Online Now Nov 7, 2008 at 6:14 AM

THINKING OF GETTING RE-MARRIED WHILE ON OUR OCT CRUISE AND ONE OF OUR STOPS WILL BE PORTLAND FROM 09:00AM--7:00PM WHAT PROCEDURE'S DO WE NEED TO COMPLETE TO COMPLETE THIS TASK

2 Answers Nov 8, 2008 at 7:36 PM
    • Keafolk's Profile Photo

Portland OR to the coast to see the Redwoods

by Keafolk Online Now Oct 6, 2008 at 6:35 AM

Hi, we'd like to get from Portland to the coast by train, then fast speed onto San francisco. Can you fly out of Portland to say, Eureka, around 29.10.08 please? Many thanks.

2 Answers Oct 9, 2008 at 6:10 AM
    • LY2007's Profile Photo

What to do in Portland, Maine

by LY2007 Online Now Sep 1, 2008 at 12:48 PM

I'll be in Portland, ME for the first week in September (staying in Harpswell). Any suggestions on what not to miss or do, etc. while there? Will have a car for day trips
      Thanks.

4 Answers May 29, 2009 at 6:26 AM
    • house swap portland for beautiful myrtle beach

by weluvtravel Online Now Jun 24, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Two adults wish to trade homes for vacation. Non smoker- non drinker- no pets- interested in portland area- astoria- one to two weeks. We have a comfortable home in Myrtle Beach SC- minutes to the beach and intracoastal waterway. Would be willing to swap with couple with similar interest.

1 Answer Jun 24, 2008 at 12:41 PM
    • Catbrigab's Profile Photo

Best dates to go in summer

by Catbrigab Online Now Mar 6, 2008 at 5:19 AM

I am planning a two week stay in Portland this summer where I will be working a bit and "playing" a lot. I have a choice of two different time frames in which to go, but I need help in deciding which is best. I can either go in the first two weeks of June, or the first two weeks in July. Is there a big difference during these dates as far as 1) number of tourists, 2) weather in general, 3)fun events going on, 4)markets, restaurants, museums, sites being open, 5)beach weather 6)just general overall "feel" of the place. Mostly, I am concerned about #3, and #4 above because I don't want things to be closed up (especially in early June) if locals feel that it isn't quite summer yet. Any and all responses are welcome!

2 Answers Apr 1, 2008 at 8:48 AM
    • Jefie's Profile Photo

Children's Museum of Maine

by Jefie Online Now Jul 28, 2007 at 5:10 AM

I'm traveling to Maine with my 9-year-old niece and 14-year-old nephew. I'm wondering if they're too old to visit the Children's Museum of Maine or would they still get a kick out of some of the exhibits?

• jharper's Profile Photo

Where do hipsters get their hair cut in portland?

by jharper Online Now Jul 19, 2007 at 2:36 PM

Where do all the cool kids of portland get their hair cut?
      thanks!

• darylann's Profile Photo

Locating certain sites/buildings in Portland

by darylann Online Now Jul 5, 2007 at 12:03 PM

I'm going to be in Portland later this month, working as a photographer on a
      self-assignment while visiting family on Chebeague (which I do yearly). I
      have a collection of old postcards depicting various buildings in Portland, and
      I want to locate all the subjects some afternoon and photograph them as they are
      today (assuming they all are still in existence!), from the same angles if possible.

What I'm trying to do is find someone local who's more familiar with the area
      and could possible suggest or map out a route for me, to make the most efficient
      use of my time. I'm not looking for a "tour guide," but just some directions
      and any suggestions one might care to offer. If I make a new friend in the
      deal, so be it!

Thanks for any help offered.

1 Answer Jul 11, 2007 at 9:36 AM
    • sabogg01's Profile Photo

Some General Questions about things to do and places to stay

by sabogg01 Online Now May 2, 2007 at 5:43 PM

I am considering a few vacation options and one is New England in the fall at the end of September and the beginning of October.
      I have made an itinerary in which we would spend 1 complete day in Portland, Maine. We will be arriving in Portsmouth, New Hampshire first and want to drive the hour and start our "journey" at Portland. My first question is:
      Are there enough things to do in Portland to spend a day? As far as just strolling through downtown and visiting the shore and looking at different lighthouses and ships that may be in the area. Or would it be better to drive to Portland for a few hours and then come back to Portsmouth, NH and spend the night?
      I notice that hotels seem to be very expensive in the Portland area.
      I am going to post my itinerary and see if there are any other suggestions that may make this a lil better:

Day 1 Portland, Maine
      Day 2 Woodstock, Vermont & Stockbridge, MA
      Day 3-6 New York City
      Day 7 Mystic, CT
      Day 8 Newport, RI
      Day 9 Plymouth Rock/Hyannis & Marthas Vineyard
      Day 10 Boston
      Day 11 Portsmouth, NH

4 Answers May 4, 2007 at 9:44 AM
    • Sea Ice

by iwishiwasinpakistan Online Now Dec 7, 2006 at 3:10 PM

Does the ocean often have ice on it in Portland, Maine in the winter? If so, does the ice ever get thick enough to walk on during a very cold spell?

3 Answers Feb 27, 2007 at 12:54 PM
    • Portland Public Market - still operating?

by archer1267 Online Now Sep 4, 2006 at 2:50 PM

We just came back from a weekend in Portland and I was disappointed that the Public Market was closed, despite signs that it would be open on Sunday. When we looked through the windows and doors, we hardly saw any signs of life in there...maybe signs of two or three vendors. I'd read that the market was an attempt to revitalize the downtown area...did it just not catch on?

3 Answers Apr 26, 2007 at 10:04 AM
    • karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Lobster in Portland

by karenincalifornia Online Now Jul 13, 2006 at 1:09 PM

My family and I will be spending one night in Portland, ME in July. Where is a great place to get lobster and seafood downtown?

Karen

1 Answer Aug 12, 2006 at 6:48 PM
    • Apartment

by bongoI Online Now Sep 9, 2005 at 1:01 PM

Can anybody suggest apartments for rent between400-$500, in Downtown Portland. I am willing to share an apartment, as well as sign a lease.
      Thank you
      Kishan

• Shifting to Maine

by bongoI Online Now Sep 5, 2005 at 8:57 AM

Kindly provide me with suggestions regarding shifting to Portland Maine. I intend to settle down in Portland.
      Thanks.

2 Answers Sep 6, 2005 at 2:37 PM
    • rkid21's Profile Photo

Portland Greengrocer

by rkid21 Online Now Jun 26, 2005 at 4:51 PM

Does anyone have any info on the Portland Greengrocer (211 Commercial Street, Portland, Maine)? What do they sell? Is it a specialty store? A deli? A bakery?

Thank you!

1 Answer Sep 6, 2005 at 9:27 AM
    • Snezhka007's Profile Photo

Bike Rentals

by Snezhka007 Online Now May 23, 2005 at 6:08 PM

Would you recommend to rent bikes and tour the town? Are there some nice routes and parks. Where should I look for nice bikes and good prices? Thank you in advance!