Portland Travel Answers

change location
TamersonK's Profile Photo

One day in early May

by TamersonK Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

From Sarasota FL and I will have one day to spend in Portland in early May. Any suggestions?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

Re: One day in early May

by johngayton Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM

If you're talking Portland, Maine then you just gotta have lobster. Anywhere down by the harbour is good.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I would divide my time up in a couple of areas. Aside from going to the Old Port area I would suggest walking up to Congress Street which has a wide grouping of museums, schools, art galleries, contemporary music venues, and art studios. Be sure and see Portland High School, the oldest continuously occupied high school in the U.S; the Wadsworth-Longfellow House, and the Portland Art Museum.

Also for a really special treat go to the Standard Baking Company on Commercial Street and try a LOBSTER COOKIE. Pretty amazing even though it sounds horrible. It's at 75 Commercial Street, near the Port area.

For a great view and walk around the City definitely take a walk along the Eastern Promenade with great views of the City, some of the prettiest houses in the City and great views out to Casco Bay.

1 member found this helpful

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I would divide my time up in a couple of areas. Aside from going to the Old Port area I would suggest walking up to Congress Street which has a wide grouping of museums, schools, art galleries, contemporary music venues, and art studios. Be sure and see Portland High School, the oldest continuously occupied high school in the U.S; the Wadsworth-Longfellow House, and the Portland Art Museum.

Also for a really special treat go to the Standard Baking Company on Commercial Street and try a LOBSTER COOKIE. Pretty amazing even though it sounds horrible. It's at 75 Commercial Street, near the Port area.

For a great view and walk around the City definitely take a walk along the Eastern Promenade with great views of the City, some of the prettiest houses in the City and great views out to Casco Bay.

• GreenMtn.Man's Profile Photo

by GreenMtn.Man Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:55 AM

One day is fine I would start with breakfast at Becky's (can't be beat) right after that get your tickets to tour the harbor on the ferry boat where you will see all of the lighthouses from the bay view. The local guides are very knowledgeable about there past. After that I would get lunch at Gilbert's there are nicer looking places, however if you are looking for great seafood theirs is a treat. After lunch do take the tour bus which goes out from the old port and tour the city. I was amazed at the history of this old town and the homes on the west side of the city are just beautiful! After the bus tour you will have a great idea of what is in town that's of intrest to you and a walk touring the shops is always fun.Do take a drive over to see the Portland Head lighthouse in Fort Williams Park however where there is a short walk along the cliffs as well and the lighthouse is beautiful.

• Florida999's Profile Photo

by Florida999 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I would visit the downtown area, it's pretty nice, and then maybe the lighthouse

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines