Port-au-Prince Travel Answers

change location

Any Information about Hotel Prince?

by dotG Online Now Jul 19, 2006 at 12:57 PM

We have been booked at the Hotel Prince (in Quartier Pacot) for an upcoming trip to PaP. I have never stayed there and know nothing about its amenities, safety of the neighborhood, etc... Has anyone stayed there or can you tell me about the neighborhood? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Any Information about Hotel Prince?

by GlobalEpi Online Now Aug 4, 2006 at 2:19 PM

We were at Hotel Prince this summer, and I can recommend it as a very friendly and (apparently) safe place in which the air conditioner worked all night, and where the rooms were musty-smelling but clean. There is a pool and a restaurant-bar, very low key while I was there. The breakfast was good, although it came very, very slowly (welcome to Haiti), and the owner and all of the desk clerks went out of their way to be helpful. Wireless internet was not available in the room, but I was invited to take my laptop to their small conference room where the wireless reception was fine.
    Pacot, the neighborhood, is on one of PaP's many hills and the area around the hotel does not seem menacing in any way, although I have learned not to "go with my gut" on those perceptions and acted as I would in any area of PaP 2006 that I did not know well. There was armed security, and the gate locked at night. Very quiet there. The HQ for MSF (Doctors without Borders) is nearby, and it is much closer to town than is Petionville.

I used to love the Oloffson, but my last time there (2005), the ongoing neglect of the property had become a problem for me. I hope that the situation there is improving.

In the interim, the Prince (which has some of the shabby Victorian grandeur of Oloffson - although none of its romance) will do fine.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines