Port-Vila Travel Answers

change location

Banking - ATM Question

by maggzs Online Now Aug 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I am just wondering, whan I use an ATM in Port Vila, will the money come out in AU$ or in VATU? And also say if I want to withdraw500AU do I put that amount in & it automatically converts to VATU or the amount in VATU?

Thanks.
Maggzs

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • craic's Profile Photo

Re: Banking - ATM Question

by craic Online Now Aug 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM

i'm sorry i don't know about port Vila - but i have used atms in NZ, Italy, Bosnia and Slovenia - and the money always comes out in local currency

and you have to put the sum into the machine in local currency

so a currency converter aid would be handy

if you go to the front page of VT you will find under Travel Tools a handy currency converter

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Banking - ATM Question

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Aug 29, 2009 at 11:48 PM

I've never had anything other than the local currency come out of an ATM anywhere in the world. You put in the amount of local currency you want, notAU (orCDN in my case).

• Re: Banking - ATM Question

by maggzs Online Now Aug 31, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Thanks heaps for the reply, just nice to have an idea before I head over.

Happy & safe traveling to you.

• Re: Banking - ATM Question

by Ianblue Online Now Apr 16, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I know this question is from a long way back, but this info may help others with the same enquiry. There are Westpac and ANZ ATM's in Port VIla, enter how much you want to withdraw in AUD not Vatu. You will get Vatu and your balance will print out in Vatu (which looks impressive). But beware, I do not have either an ANZ or Westpac account and when I checked a statement on return to Australia I had been charged a withdrawal fee of18 for using another banks overseas ATM.
    There is a money exchange place in Port Vila called Goodies. It offers a better exchange rate than any of the Australian Banks. So take your money with you and exchange it there.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines