Port-Vila Travel Answers

change location
allanboy's Profile Photo

First Time Tripper to Vanuatu

by allanboy Online Now Aug 15, 2007 at 4:32 AM

This year's holiday takes me to Australia for Christmas to visit my sister. As a surprise for her birthday I have booked a flight to Vanuatu from 5-14 January but have no idea where to stay. Obviously quiet romantic places for honeymooners is off the list. She likes shops and lazing by the pool while I prefer the beach and exploring. We both like eating out and visiting the bars after dark. I am flying from London and my sister lives in Brisbane.

Your best suggestions please? I used the VT forum for my trip to Mexico last year and it proved invaluable.

Allan

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: First Time Tripper to Vanuatu

by jillygirl007 Online Now Aug 15, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Hi...I can suggest the Lagoon Beach Resort in Vanuatu, it has 2 bedroom apaprtments which will give you and sister some space with out booking 2 rooms at a hotel.
    It is 10 min from town and is a Lagoon/Beach
    Check out their web site...........enjoy the suprise.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Travmad's Profile Photo

Re: First Time Tripper to Vanuatu

by Travmad Online Now Aug 26, 2007 at 12:59 PM

I stayed an enjoyable week at Hideaway Island resort not far from Port Vila. Everthing is there for you on the island you can catch a ride into Port Vila for shopping ect... There is a good coral reef dircetly off of the beach with loads of fish and corals. They have a website as well. Although you can book your accomadation through an agent in Sydney if it's easier.

• sabrepoint's Profile Photo

by sabrepoint Online Now Aug 31, 2007 at 11:25 PM

Reply is a bit late, sorry.
    We stayed at Poppy's on the Beach. Not too bad despite its name. About a 12 min walk to town though, over the saddle past a few run-down quarters. Seemed safe though. We trekked and bussed around various parts of the main island, and were quite satisfied with Poppy's. Main reason? Proximity to town (not that there's much to do in town) as there are nicer/more expensive resorts, but most seem out on limbs so you'd need taxi or bus to go anywhere. Depends on what you want I guess. We didn't mind the walk. They also have a small pool; beach on the lagoon. But don't be fooled by 'lagoon'. Technically I suppose it is, but it ain't the clear water lagoons you get in Fiji or Rarotonga! So if you like snorkelling, you need to go to one of the outlying islands or out near the start of the lagoon (where meets the ocean) isn't too bad. Would we stay at Poppy's again? Probably, but I think once enough in Vanuatu.
    Good luck!

• Re: First Time Tripper to Vanuatu

by Brian.F Online Now Oct 11, 2007 at 7:44 AM

Hi Bud, completely depends on your budget.... I live and run a business here. NOT ACCOMADATION......... (Tourism related though.) www.ultimatevanuatu.com

With your description, if I had the money and shopped on pricing, would stay at Iririki Island. Centre town, private Island resort, ferrys (5min.) 24-7.
    On more of a budget, but still on the beach /main town road and a 5 minute walk to the clubs and town, Moorings Hotel (Nomads), it is brand new and offers backpacker, through to up-market under 1 roof + one of the best clubs in Vila + on the water. Had your description been different, would have recommended both the other responces, plus 20 more. Would look at also organising a trip to another of our amazing 83 inhabited islands, and see the real Vanuatu. (2 nights somewhere...) Good luck and if you need advise on travel or booking outer islands, we have some links on our website, otherwise please feel free to email and will put you onto people or sites that can help.
    PS Youll love it... Cheers Brian neptune@vanuatu.com.vu

1 member found this helpful

• antonio1's Profile Photo

by antonio1 Online Now Feb 10, 2008 at 8:08 AM

I suggest you to go to any resort on Irikiki little island. It is very close to downtown, and also to "Au Bon Marche". But for any shopping and walking to the downtown you need to take the boat. Don't afraid about the boat because it is free and you can take it at every 15 minutes.

• cocochloe's Profile Photo

by cocochloe Online Now Oct 18, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Easy solved; Google "accommodation vanuatu" and you will find www.vanuatu-hotels.vu, they have a very large choice and operate from Vanuatu, so they know what they are talking about, if nothing else they have the largest photo library I have seen on the country. By the way, Port Vila the capital has very little late "Nightlife" (One or two nightclubs)but it does have half a dozen good restaurants. Good luck!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines