Port Moresby Travel Answers

change location
LAOWAI's Profile Photo

HOw's the situation?

by LAOWAI Online Now Sep 25, 2002 at 7:50 PM

Would it be considered safe to go there to study Pigeon English now? And if so, any suggestions on schools?

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • dayfiel's Profile Photo

Re: HOw's the situation?

by dayfiel Online Now Sep 26, 2002 at 2:56 AM

I was in Port Moresby 5 weeks ago . It is safe spo long as you don't wander around at night or alone in the wrong areas . Remember that most of the violence is inter tribal and between nationals . Go to my site at http://pngtrip.freehomepage.com on the first page is a link to "other PNG sites at "robs links . You should get a few contacts from there for what you want.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • thecape's Profile Photo

by thecape Online Now Oct 25, 2002 at 4:20 AM

Port moresby is not a primary Pigin speaking community. Rabaul , Lae or Madang are much better. WQewak may be the less daunting option. I lived in PNG for nearly 14 years up till '82 and know that if you want to 'fraternize", BEWARE

Re: Re: HOw's the situation?

by dayfiel Online Now Nov 1, 2002 at 4:12 AM

don'yt know how often you have been there but if you want to find out what goes on the world by reading or studying it or reading statistics - then you will never really know. I am not sure where you got your information that violence is towards expats or travellers - but it is wrong. How many times have you been there? I've been there 9 times and know a dozen people who live there.

by dayfiel Online Now Nov 1, 2002 at 4:21 AM

fairly useless info Adam. Surveys comparing a third world country to westernised Cities? Info from an organisation that organises the overthrow of countries and wars ?give us a break !

• riproy's Profile Photo

by riproy Online Now Nov 2, 2002 at 4:46 PM

I'll side with Adam. I visiting in 98 found the place unnerving esp after living from Asia. My counterpart living in PM (Canadian) was attacked three times in one year and almost lost his ear. He didn't lead a wild life or do stupid things - he had lived there for years before in the countryside so wasn't PNG-stupid. I know a number of people that have lived there, similar story. Whatever - you take your chances with crossing the street at home. If you are bent on learning pigeon, go to a rural area.

• Re: Re: HOw's the situation?

by FBI Online Now Nov 2, 2002 at 6:11 PM

Hey Directorate of the CIA. Thanks for pointing the finger at us, but we've been busy executing the primary mission of the FBI. Yes, that's right, we're the Female Body Inspectors, and excuse us, we have our hands full at the moment.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Nov 2, 2002 at 6:21 PM

Hi "CIA," GWB, The Directorate of Central Intelligence, . >>>And as for Bali, that is in Indonesia. Indonesia. is not a part of the USA so we don't meddle in other country's affairs. Actually, the CIA can only "meddle" outside of the USA. . I suspect that you are a fraud. LOL! Did you know it is a crime to impersonated an officer of the Federal Government of the USA? . Just a friendly warning since you seem to be pro-USA. . Really, Linda

• Mauswara's Profile Photo

by Mauswara Online Now Nov 6, 2002 at 12:37 PM

Sure, you COULD go and study pidgin in Port Moresby, probably without incident -- you might even grow to like it -- but why there? As was mentioned, you won't exactly be immersed in pidgin there, and you will be living behind razor wire fences. Go to Wewak (or somewhere). Hire a private tutor if you can't find a school. I enjoyed Moresby and never had an incident, but to put it in perspective, there was an armed robbery/murder in the house directly across the street from where I stayed. I also know a Canadian who had his ear nearly cut off when a band of hoodlums tried to steal his car (same Canadian as mentioned earlier perhaps?) An earlier Canadian tenant in the same house in Moresby found a dead body outside his gate. An Australian neighbour of his was murdered. A friend of mine (Papua New Guinean, but from Wewak) was shot through the abdomen in Port Moresby. Bad things do happen there to out-of-towners.

• skye820's Profile Photo

by skye820 Online Now Jun 22, 2003 at 5:29 PM

LOL

• skye820's Profile Photo

by skye820 Online Now Jun 22, 2003 at 5:31 PM

FBI CIA I've got your number....

• tonybevington's Profile Photo

by tonybevington Online Now Dec 21, 2003 at 12:55 PM

PNG has a law and order problem. I have lived there for 15 years.I am married to a National from the Highlands.Pidgin is quite easy to learn.As far as I know there are no schools that teach it.I teach as a Consultant there in Pidgin.Try ther Melanesian Pidgin Dictionary. Women are more at risk than men there.Rape is common.Extra care has to be taken.But it can be a wonderful place to go.Port Moresby should not be stayed at for very long,its the most boring,ugly and dangerous city.Other places are totally different.

• warrug's Profile Photo

by warrug Online Now Dec 23, 2003 at 10:08 PM

Ok people you are all scaring the *** out of me, im going there for about a month on the 30th of December, can anyone say nice encouraging things about the place? While you are writting can you reccommend a good tour company thats reliable and not too expensive and one more thing, where should i stay in port moresby for new years? merry xmas to all of you

• carolerica's Profile Photo

by carolerica Online Now Sep 30, 2004 at 10:13 AM

I was in PoM for a little over two months in february, and I was there alone, but rapidly made friends (divers!!). I agree with what has been previously said, it can be a very dangerous city if you're not careful. However, if you apply sensible rules, such as never wandering alone in the streets, hire a driver who knows the place, PoM can be quite fine, wit really nice place to go for dinner! I stayed at Airways hotel, and absolutely loved it! It's really nice and cosy! If you're a bit scared, and you're a diver, try Loloata island for a day, or WE out. It's not that cheap though, but it is on a "private" island, and you'll be absolutely safe. I myself had no problem (our car was broked in, but I had stupidly forgotten my cell phone in it), and that's it. Have a nice trip

• warrug's Profile Photo

by warrug Online Now Sep 30, 2004 at 4:40 PM

Carol, Good for you, brave of you, i was also there for 2 months on my own and i loved every minute of it. Well, except when i was lost just outside tari and i hade to sleep in a dodgy guest house in room filled with rats, but hey thats another story. I did diving in Madang and also in Rabaul. I took a Luther ***ting from madang to rabaul, the "tourist" class that havent seen tourists for about 3 years was infested with cockroaches so i spoke to the captain and asked if i could crash out upstairs on deck for 3 days. That was fun. I will definetly go back, i missed all the festivals. I want to go back with my girlfriend one day. Quck questions, what were you doing with a mobile phone?? doesnt work there does it?

• carolerica's Profile Photo

by carolerica Online Now Oct 4, 2004 at 2:58 AM

Hi warrug! Well, even though PNG seems to be a far, and perhaps primitive place from an european eye, it's not!!! And mobile phone works there! Roaming works wonderfully and they have a very efficient mobile phone company whose logo is a cute little bee!!! (can't remember the name of the company though!). Perhaps the phone doesen't work in Rabaul, or weewak (have no idea, haven't been there), but it sure does in PoM and in Alotau! Cheers!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Port Moresby