Port Douglas Travel Answers

change location

Honeymoon in Pt Douglas area

by melzy Online Now Oct 3, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Hello,My fiance and I are thinking of having our honeymoon in Port Douglas/Cairns/Palm Cove area in late march early april 2010.I have heard about the jellyfish and the wet season.Is this a bad time to visit these places?If it is i will have to look elsewhere as i cant change my wedding date!
Thanks for any help!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • tropicrd's Profile Photo

Re: Honeymoon in Pt Douglas area

by tropicrd Online Now Oct 3, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Yes it is our wet season but most of the accomodations have swimming pools or the beachs have stinger nets.
    Cairns is having a tourist promo at the moment encouraging people to come to the far north in the wet season as the waterfalls are fantastic to see.
    No one can predict the weather but it would be a shame to miss out because of what might be.As a local I find can't any bad time to visit--it can be very hot and humid and yes wet at times but if you really want to come I wouldn't let that stop me.
    And congrats on your upcoming wedding.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Honeymoon in Pt Douglas area

by Anne12 Online Now Oct 6, 2009 at 1:58 AM

I would still come to the Far North Qld in March early Aril.

Port Douglas is a lovely place to stay, especially for your honeymoon. Wonderful restaurants and cafe's to eat at. I love the Salsa Bar and Grill in Port.
    They are all around the main street area and down on the wharf.

The accommodation is also excellent. For that time of year you should be able to get something at a good price.
    All accommodation have pools for you to swim in.
    Yes, the jelly fish thingys are out and about at this time of year, BUT they have a stinger net in at Port Douglas at this time of year and it is watched closely by the Surf Lifegaurds and you will see signs to let you know if it safe to swim in the nets...
    You will still be able to walk along the lovely beach.
    From Port you can go out to the Reef...I always recommend the Qucicksilver trip. It's a day trip and you will love it!! They go every day of the year, unless the weather is really bad.
    Also you will be able to hire a car and head to Cape Tribulation. All roads are sealed so you will be OK if it is raining.The rainforest looks awsome after it has rained.
    There are a number of other drives you can do...just go with the flow.

Yes, it is the wet season, but come March April, it can be fine everyday.
    Even if it does rain, it still is hot and it can rain one minute and be fine the next.

Palm Cove is great, but you will have more to do at Port, without having to go far.
    I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

by melzy Online Now Oct 11, 2009 at 6:40 AM

thankyou for your help! how far is palm cove from pt douglas and cainrs? we would efinetly be staying in palm cove as we have sorted accom there already.i guess i just dont want to make the trip there for it to rain each day.it would still be beautiful i know.think we are still going to do it though!

by Anne12 Online Now Oct 12, 2009 at 2:38 AM

From Palm Cove it is about 20 minutes into the city of Cairns, it's about 30 plus minutes to Port Douglas.
    There is an array of things you will be able to do, even when it's raining:)
    You can either hire a car or do tours.
    For an example, the Quicksilver outer reef comapny picks up from all beach areas and from accommodation along the way...they have many buses picking up each morning and returning each evening.
    For the trip to Cape Tribulation and other areas I would hire a car. Do it in your time.

Glad you have decided to still come North, I hope you have a wonderful time.

The restaurant NuNu in Palm Cove is really good. It has won awards and the latest award was for their breakfast menu, one that was on that was the coconut pancakes.
    We had dinner there and I thought it was wonderful, yes, slightly higher in price but a dining experience:)

by melzy Online Now Oct 19, 2009 at 6:38 AM

just as a general question,what is the best time to visit the region? we thought we might put it off a month or so to come when its really nice...

by Anne12 Online Now Oct 20, 2009 at 11:30 PM

From June onwards the high season starts to get going...the rains go and it starts to be perfect!
    I can't predict the weather, every year is slighly different. I came here for holidays for around 20 years before I moved here.
    I used to come June onwards and it always seemed a good time of year to do this.
    I am now living here and this year, July/August/September have been perfect, no rain to really worry about, in fact it's been very dry, too dry.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines