Port Douglas Travel Answers

change location

accommadation advice

by patsy7 Online Now Mar 8, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I am coming to Port Douglas in may,will be travelling alone,Looking for a very cheap apartment.I have found The mango tree,& archpelago.wonder if anyone has sayed there recently & what they thought of them.Im looking for something self contained,where I can cook for myself.I shall be there for about 7 days maybe a little more.I am awaiting the birth of my little grandaughter,after which my daughter needs me to go & help,so I am on standby from the end of May!
This is a chance for me to see a part of Australia that I have wantedto see[I live in UK] Also what is the weather like at this time of year?
sorry for the long message,grateful for any help.
Nana in transit

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • ricky52's Profile Photo

Re: accommadation advice

by ricky52 Online Now Mar 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Due to extreme climatic changes the World is experiencing at the moment, trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local, on the day variations.
    Most places now are seeing weather conditions well outside the norm.
    The information below should be used as a guide only.

Here is the average weather for Port Douglas for this time of year.
    Enjoy your holiday.

May.
    High 82f / 28c
    Low 68f / 20c
    Rain 5.40in / 138.0mm
    Rain days 14
    Hours of sun 6
    Daylight hours 11
    UV level 8 = Very High
    Humidity = Low
    Sea temp 79f / 26c

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: accommadation advice

by Anne12 Online Now Mar 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Hi there,
    You will love Port Douglas:) It is one of my favourite places.
    I live in Cairns, just down the road from Port.
    I have stayed at the Mango Tree many years ago and it was OK then. You can walk to the town area from there.
    A place that I have stayed at a number of times is the the Tropic Breeze Van Village. This has a small amount of units at the back of the park. They are great and good value. They have cook top,microwave, fridge, ceiling fans and I think aircon and TV plus there is a nice pool in this park and it was very well managed, not a lot of noise.
    The units have sliding doors onto a garden area and you can see the 4 mile beach from here. It's only a short walk to the beach, short walk to the shops.
    There are only about 6 units( approx) and you have shared toilets and bathrooms. This wasn't a huge problem as only the unit residents were allowed to use these and I requested a unit close to the female toilet/shower area.
    I felt safe and secure here.It's an older type accommodation, but clean and affordable, I think they gave a discount for a weeks stay.
    Here is a site with some photos.
    caravanparkphotos.com.au/por...

Port is an easy town to walk around and has many shops and a supermarket etc. Also it has cheap cafe's that you can get a good meal.

The weather is May will be hot , but the humidity will have gone down a peg or two from what it is now.The month of May is usually the turning point, the wet season is ending ( I hope!!) you will get some rain, but it doesn't cool down, just rains:) and you will get beautiful sunny days...perfect! All up to the weather Gods!!
    If you need any other info, just email me and I will do my best to help:)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines