Port Douglas Travel Answers

change location

Advice required for January trip

by mpryan Online Now Sep 14, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Hi All,

my parents are vsiting me in Australia for the 1st time next January. Alot of people have recommended Port Douglas to me as a must see. However they are travelling from Ireland and are not used to tropical conditions (extreme heat, humidity etc).

Could someone advise whether the weather in January will significantly impact their holiday, as while they're keen to see the reef etc, they fairly senior and wouldn't handle poor conditions very well.

kind regards
Michael

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Re: Advice required for January trip

by colin_bramso Online Now Sep 15, 2008 at 2:10 AM

Summer is the worst time to visit the far north, not so much the heat because it's very often hotter down south, but the humidy. And it's the wet season up there of course. They're going to meet hotter weather, and sunnier, than they're used to wherever they go in Oz in January so it's really a question of humidity and rain in Port.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Advice required for January trip

by mpryan Online Now Sep 16, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Thanks Colin,

i had an idea already, but as i've never been to Port Douglas i thought i'd ask those with experience.

cheers
    Michael

• slyons81's Profile Photo

Re: Advice required for January trip

by slyons81 Online Now Jan 28, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I was there in January of 2000 and 2004, one of my favorite places in the world. I thought the heat was pretty heavy and the air felt thick. Also, the box Jellyfish come in that area around that time so the swimming areas are a little restricted. However, Port Douglas is a very cool place, hell Bill CLinton Vacations there. If you go they have cane toad races at a place called the Iron Bar, a little touristy but I had fun.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines